Car is dying on me :(! Need help - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
kompl3x is on a distinguished road
Car is dying on me :(! Need help

I don't have enough money to spend on a diagnostic from a dealership. I will have just enough with borrowing to fix it (hopefully) but I have two issues right now. One is a coolant leak from the reserve (going to replace the whole bottle) and the main issue.

I had noticed the car losing power and seeming hesitant on acceleration a while ago. An error code popped up that said the engine was running lean (bank 2). I figured I would just replace the o2 sensors but now the car is having a hard time starting. I have to push on the gas right after turning the key otherwise the engine shuts off. Once it starts its "okay." Has anybody had this issue before? Any ideas what it could be?

Edit:

It is a 2001 330i with 114,000 miles.

Last edited by kompl3x; 11-18-2009 at 01:38 PM.
kompl3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
OK, firstly its very hard to run a BMW with no cash, so I will try and help with your starting problem, clean the throttle body, clean the MAF, take out the spark plugs and give them a clean too, air filter give it a hoover and a blast with a hose/power washer ( totally dry it ), all the instructions for the above three mechanical things can be found here or via google search.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 2002 325I
Photos:
jcharles07 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kompl3x View Post
I don't have enough money to spend on a diagnostic from a dealership. I will have just enough with borrowing to fix it (hopefully) but I have two issues right now. One is a coolant leak from the reserve (going to replace the whole bottle) and the main issue.

I had noticed the car losing power and seeming hesitant on acceleration a while ago. An error code popped up that said the engine was running lean (bank 2). I figured I would just replace the o2 sensors but now the car is having a hard time starting. I have to push on the gas right after turning the key otherwise the engine shuts off. Once it starts its "okay." Has anybody had this issue before? Any ideas what it could be?

Edit:

It is a 2001 330i with 114,000 miles.

People don't need to know you don't have money to fix it, check the basic and provide the code for better help
what I can suggest to check all you vac hoses including the Master flow hoses for cracks, too lean mean a mixture of gas and air that need to be well balanced, too much in one end or too little will be a problem remember don't take your car to a none BMW repair facility,most of the regular shop does not have the right tool/software to read the proper code, they will guess the issue as per a regular scanner...
jcharles07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Im not saying I dont have money, I have to do all new calipers, fix coolant leak, and take care of this problem at about the same time. I just cant do extra and the advice I was given before (in person) was to take it to a dealership which would be hard given the situation. I was explaining why I had to try and figure out whats going on without just taking it in.

Last edited by kompl3x; 11-18-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 2002 325I
Photos:
jcharles07 is on a distinguished road
Car is dying on me

Good thinking
find out the problem first and It will cost less but find the right OBD scanner for BMW is another issue a lot of time generic scanner show wrong P0 codes that can lead to wrong parts
jcharles07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Has anybody heard of or had this problem before? It did happen around the same time my step dad was messing around with the air filter / maf so I will go back and check that out make sure everything is attached properly. It starts, it gets to about 2-3,000 rpms then cuts out. If I press on gas while starting it rev's and drops down to normal idle.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
W00T

Car: 1991 E30 318i 2008 E92 328i
Photos:
Numark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Numark318i
Hmm. I would recommend checking out E46fanatics. Search the forums, dont post a new thread...those threads cover anything that can go wrong with your car.

I had the same car, never had this issue though. Might want to check the vacuum hoses. Also as stated above clean out the intake as best as possible. Its a bitch to get to, so you might want to just try pouring a little injection cleaner in there when its warm, letting it sit and starting it up again. (will smoke for a little, thats normal)

Theres a good number of sensors, so that might also be the problem.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
dcuse32 is on a distinguished road
Go to autozone and they will do a diagnostic scan for free. After that get a print out of the codes and then you can go from there...Total cost $0.00
dcuse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
RDroz is on a distinguished road
My "lean code on bank B" was a cracked lower intake boot. The small ribbed nozzle that goes to the idle control had cracked. You can see it without removing anything if you lean way in and look down towards the back half of the engine. Apparently it's a very common problem. Air then sneaks in without registering at the MAF.
RDroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 2004/BMW/325i
Photos:
coolcooltracy is on a distinguished road
you can order an expansion tank online for abt 40 bucks at fcpgroton.com (thats where i got mine with the same leak issue.. i have an '04 325i)

now when i take my car to advance auto now, ever since i bought the car used feb 09, the codes "too lean bank 1 & too lean bank 2" will pop up. i never found what it meant, even by googling a million times. and after a very bad experience of BMW checkered flag trying to HORRIBLY rip me off, i will probably never go back unless my car is literally dead, but even then id prob get another car. BUT RDroz makes a point when he said "cracked lower intake boot" bc ive posted abt a whistling sound when i accelerate really fast (basically slamming on the gas trying to pass another car) and someone said it might be the intake boot.

btw sorry for an extremely long post.

now for the acceleration hesitance, i do still have that, sometimes its annoying bc ill barely step on the gas and it wont go so i step with more pressure and it'll jerk to take off. ive never had it shut off on me.. ive had to replace my CCV which has been the number one most horrible issue.. (the part only costed 62 bucks&my uncle replaced it) BMW tried to charge me 890 to replace it. the major most obvious ways to tell was when you pop the hood, you'll see a large vacuum hose top right. mine was pinched really tight. also, if you have the engine running the oil cap WILL NOT open bc of pressure from the cracked CCV. the car also shook and felt like it was going to stall when i was at a stoplight.

hope that helped sorry again for my essay.
coolcooltracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)