Car Cover - Is It Worth It - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 06:42 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yubyub is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

I'm going away for a week or so, and was wondering whether it is worth it to get a cover for my 05' 330xi.

It's parked in a secure location, but it is outside. I'm a bit worried about sun, birds, etc...

Are there any good brands out there?

Are there any drawbacks to using a cover?

Is there anything I should know about them?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 06:54 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
I was able to find a FAQs on this:
http://www.sandiegomiataclub.org/SDMC/Gara..._Cover_FAQ.html

It seems that Sunbrella is the best, followed by ULTRALON and NOAH.

Any comments?
#3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 06:55 AM
Neutral Member

Howie is an unknown quantity at this point
I would personally get a cover, birds can ruin bodywork. I do not have a cover, but am also considering one too. I have heard that you need to make sure it has a very soft lining or with wind and it flapping slightly it can scratch... Would be interested too in any advise. )
#4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 10:23 AM
1st Gear Member

2001BMW325xi is an unknown quantity at this point
Me would get the cover ASAP if my car was lying outside and me had to leave for a long time......besides the birds and shit.....I think its easier for miscreants to key your car rather than have it covered by a heavy car cover and them having to lift it up and all. Oh an also I would leave a Sticky with your number (it need not be your cell fone and no address) pasted under the windshield of the car so that in case of an unexpected circumstances some one can contact you or ask a neighbour or friend to look at it at least once a day casually and let you know if something bad happens.

My car is always garaged but I still have my BMW cover I purchased from www.bavauto.com (190$) and it matches the titanium silver on my car. Its a very breathable light material (I think its called NOAH or something).....very cool and light.....(saves your back and arms a lot of trouble). I only use it when I am gone for a long time (yes dust even collects in the garage). I would highly reccommend it......and dont leave the poor bimmer uncovered.....pleaseee :P

Oh and get back to soon. Take care.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
2001BMW325xi,

Thanks for the advice. Did bavauto ship quickly? I'm leaving this weekend!

Also, does the cover say "BMW" on the front?
#6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

2001BMW325xi is an unknown quantity at this point
Yure welcome,

That was almost a year ago and I am sure I did not opt for the fastest shipment available......so if you do I am sure they will oblige (for some extra money although). No it does not say BMW on top. You can get BMW logo covers from your local Bimmerworken dealer. They run between 250-350 depending on what yu buy and where yu are. They are usually available readily (again depending on dealership and location). Its a little expensive but if you need it quick and with the logo displayed....it would be yur best choice. The cover from Bavauto is about 50-100 $ cheaper cause usually its on sale all the time and does not have the BMW logo. I am not sure but they may even have the logo covers. Checkout www.bavauto.com.

Have a great trip.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 04:05 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Believe it or not, BMW of Manhattan has it for cheaper, with the BMW logo.

Unfortunately, it's MUCH cheaper at Circle BMW, but they won't be able to get it to me in time.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 08:14 PM
n00b

zzzzzer is an unknown quantity at this point
I was about to order one from BMW for $186 (US). Then I went to K-Mart and something told me to check out their car covers. I found one on clearance for $30.00! Don't let the fact it came from K-Mart fool you --

- EASY to install
- Completely waterproof
- Terry cloth lining as to not scratch the paint
- Cool features like the a section that unzips and detaches so you can open the car door with ease even when its covered
- Buckle underneath the front of the cover to secure it
- Strap in back that goes inside the trunk to secure it
- 1 hole on each side so you can further secure the cover with a strap......I purchased one for $4 (US) and not only does it keep wind from getting underneath it and blowing the cover off but it also serves to further keep someone from easily removing the cover
- Even has moldings that fit over the side mirror and has a zip storage bag

I bought an XXL for my 325ci so it covers everything, to include the wheels. Personally, even though its parked somewhere extremely safe, I didn't want a cover that said BMW on the cover b/c I'd rather people NOT know what was underneath.

* By the way, don't get one that says ValueGuard Cover. It has few features and is cheaply made. Mine is called GoldGuard Cover, I think, and I couldn't be happier. Even has a metallic-like gold coloring that just looks cool. And while everyone else has pollen all over their cars mine stays clean, away from prying eyes, cooler in the summertime, and dry after hellacious rains. Can't beat it.

<a href='http://www.j-body.org/members/zzzzzer/profile/' target='_blank'>http://www.j-body.org/members/zzzzzer/profile/</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)