car cover advice sought - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 08:10 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wagnerone is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
car cover advice sought

Hi,

I'm a new BMW owner of about two weeks. I recently purchased a 2003 325xi which had the most gorgeously maintained paint job I have ever seen. I say had because sometime in the first 7 days I had it, something scratched the horizontal surfaces. The scratches were mostly on the trunk, but there is one heinous one on the hood.

A local body shop specializing in europeon autos was able to, miracously buff out these 20-30 scratches. It is back to about 95% of it's original 99.9% good looks.

Needless to say I was heartbroken. However, I realize, living in a city like Chicago, these things are bound to happen and, I had been planning on purchasing an auto cover anyway. I just hadn't had time to research and make the purchase and the BMW dealer I bought the car from didn't seem that inclined to help me out with it.

I've searched these forums for threads on auto covers and have come up (so far) dry. I'll keep poking around, but I'd like to get opinions about what type to get for outdoor use for my 325.

Should I go with the BMW model ($180) or something equivelant (or even better)? I don't want to get something so obviously great that someone is going to steal _that_ damn thing either.

But, I have heard that you have to keep them clean and be careful putting them on/removing them as they too can scratch the finish. I'm fine with that as nothing could mar the finish as bad as whatever did this stuff to my car.

Thanks for any insight on that.

In terms of what may have caused the scratches on my 7 day old car, I am leaning toward (after a lot of speculating and thinking) some sort of animal skating around on the horizontal surfaces or maybe someone unpacking their damn vehicle next to mine, putting their crap on my car and then just sliding it off without a look back... taking bits of my finish with their boxes or whatever.

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 08:37 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Get one that's got a felt or silk lining on the inner surface and you'll probably be free of worry about whether the cover itself will scratch the finish.

Unfortunately this is my only helpful advice. I have no experience with car covers.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 09:32 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
Is this cover for mostly outdoors?

I have always use the Covercraft "evolution 4" on all of my cars. I still own an 88 Pontiac Fiero GT with the original paint job which still looks great. The problem with this cover is that it takes lots of room in the car once you fold it. Washing it is no picnic either. It does offer great outdoor protection.
Two years ago, I bought the "Bavarian ultimate car cover" from bavauto.com for my 540i. It's light and easy to store and wash. This cover will not protect against door dings unlike the covercraft. This material is plastic like. The covercraft offers a softer/cloth thicker material. You have to shake them once a month to remove dust/dirt.
Both covers cost about the same ($175). After a few years your paint will develop swirl marks on the paint but the clear coat will not fade. Wax your car once every four month and use a quick detailer like Eagle one (I use it all the time) twice a week to wipe off any light dust.
Sounds like lots of work, doesn't? Is not so bad, you get used to it!

LOS
#4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 11:12 AM
n00b

wagnerone is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replies, folks.

Yes, this cover will be used exclusively outdoors. For the most part, I want it for when the car is parked at home for extended periods of time (as it will be often due to my commuting to work via public trans).

It will be mainly used to protect the car from the elements, ferocious animal clawing (which my car is apparently subject to), and abuse from my parking lot neighbors. I have a storage area near the car I could store the cover in when not on the car.

Sounds like the Covercraft one is my ticket. Any recommendations on where to buy one (reputable site, good pricing, etc.)?

Thanks,
Mike
#5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 11:49 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
Checkout autoanything.com & bavauto.com
There is lots of technical/material information.
Other brands: NOAH & UMBRELLA. I believe these are made by covercraft as well.
Based on what you described, the above covers will work. You won't be dissapointed in the quality & protection

LOS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)