Cannot access cluster display functions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:17 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kstesney is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Cannot access cluster display functions

My 2003 BMW 325i cluster displays fine (mileage, clock, etc.). But I cannot access any of the functions (such as to change the time or scroll through the menu). I got this BMW used and the manual mentions accessing the functions by a button on the end of the turn signal. There is no button on the turn signal. There are buttons coming out from the cluster display that I think should enable access to the computer functions, but nothing happens when I push or turn them. I had one mechanic tell me that it was the onboard computer that needs to be replaced for about $900, but I don't know if I trust him. Any ideas what's wrong? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
To access the test functions

Press the odometer reset button and hold it with the key off.

Turn the key to Position 1. The TEST screen will appear on the dash screen.

Continue to press the Odometer reset button to scroll through the menu items and them utilize the time change button (the right side one) to select the sub-menus.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#3 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Help from over the pond

E46 Instrument Cluster Test

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Incase no one knows here's how to do it.
Tests 1-2 are unlocked. Tests 1.2, 1.2 etc are known as sub-tests. Tests 3-21 are locked but Test 19 is the unlock function for accessing the displays.This should work with your vehicle.

TEST 01. - Vehicle specific data including:
SubTests:
12345 1.0 = VIN
7504 1.1 = Body number
690151 6_1.2 = Part number of cluster
039000 1.3 = Coding/Diagnosis/Bus Index
1102 1.4 = Manufacturing date (calender week/year)
06_110 1.5 = Hardware/software # of cluster (HW:06, SW:110)
1E5_06 3_1.6 = injection status, number of cylinders, engine factor

TEST 19. LOCK/UNLOCK
Sub-Tests
L-ON---
L-OFF 19.0 =
Displays changes from "L-ON" to "L-OFF" every second. To unlock test functions, press the cluster button immediately when it changes to "L-OFF". Tests are automatically locked when exiting test functions.

TEST 02. - Cluster System Test - activates the gauge drivers, indicators and LEDs to confirm function.

TEST 03. - SI Data
Sub-Tests:
1500 3.0 - Liters
0 3.1 - Periodic inspection days (not applicable for US)

TEST 04. - Momentary Consumption
Sub-Tests:
0267 4.0 = 26.7 liters/1000km
0073 4.1 = 7.3 liters per hour

TEST 05. - Distance Gone Consumptions
Sub-Tests:
0195 5.0 = 19.5 liters/100km
226 5.1 = momentary distance to go (226km)

TEST 06. - Fuel level sensor inputs in liters
Sub-Tests:
237415 6.0 = Fuel level aveg. *LH sensor input = 23.7 liters
*RH sensor input = 41.5 liters
0652 6.1 = Total tank level average = 65.2 liters
0667 1_6.2 = indicated value and tank phase *1 = both sensors OK
*2 = one sensor fault
*3 = implausible input

TEST 07. - Temp. and Speed
Sub-Tests:
032 7.0 = coolant temp. input 32C
245 7.1 = outside temp. input 24.5C
5283 7.2 = engine speed 5,283 RPM
058 7.3 = vehicle speed 58km/H

TEST 08. - Input values in HEX Form
Sub-Tests:
XXX 8.0-8.3 = Hex code, instrument cluster inputs

TEST 09. - Battery Voltage
Sub-Test:
125 9.0 = 12.5v

TEST 10. - Country Coding
Sub-Test
02 10.0 - US 02

TEST 11. - Cluster Code
Sub-Test
000003 11.0 = Cluster Code

TEST 12 - Not Used

TEST 13 - GONG Test
Sub-Test:
Gong 13.0 = Activate gon by pressing buttong (gong response is delayed)

TEST 14. - fault memory (NOT FOR DIAGNOSIS)

TEST 15 to 18

TEST 20. - Averg. fuel consumption - correction factor.
The factor follows previous systems, with adjustment range of 750 - 1250. The adjustment method is new for the base cluster. If adjustment is necessary, enter into test 20 using the cluster button.

The correction factor number is changed by using the sub-tests for the "ones, tens, and hundreds of the correction factor number. The digits will automatically scroll through 0-9 within each group (ones, tens, hundreds).

Sub-Tests:
XXX9 20.0 = Press the button when the correct "ones" position is attained.
XX5X 20.1 = Press the button when the correct "tens" position is attained.
12XX 20.2 = Press the button when the correct "hundreds" position is attained.

TEST 21. - Software reset
sub-test:
reset 21.0 = Reset Software.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:42 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the quick response, but no luck. I did what you said but it does nothing different from when I ordinarily start the car. The first thing that happens is that the miles to service displays for a moment, then it goes to a normal display of total miles, trip miles, and clock. It stays on that display no matter what I try. Pressing either of the two buttons on the cluster display does nothing to change the display. Any more ideas? Could it have anything to do with a defective DME? That's what the mechanic said.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Help from over the pond

If you have a defective DME, this would affect it and also alot of other things too.

#6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:54 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
If I get a used DME on eBay can I install it myself (just unplug old one and insert new one) or is some sort of programming involved? Thanks.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Help from over the pond

No, It has to be programmed, however I think your problem lies here, Models before 1989 have the code plug located inside the brown connector of the cluster, later models have it plugged in the backside of the mother board. The code-plug (at times) could be the cause of failure for some of the functions of the instrument cluster, and it is only available for purchase via authorized BMW retailers. For a successful bench test of the instrument cluster, it is necessary for the customer to supply the code-plug.

#8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 10:02 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, marti5. I guess I will ask the authorized BMW dealer to check it out for me and advise during my next oil change which is just about due.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 10:05 AM
Help from over the pond

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstesney View Post
Thanks, marti5. I guess I will ask the authorized BMW dealer to check it out for me and advise during my next oil change which is just about due.
Thats what I would do rather than waste money on speculation.

#10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 12:53 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Access Instrument Cluster Functions 325i E46

OK, it turns out that my problem was diagnosed as a defective instrument cluster, not the on-board computer as I had feared. So it cost $175 for a repair/replace of the instrument cluster. It sat idle for a couple months before I finally got around to testing it, and I did go through some of the test functions, including #2 where all the lights come on and the indicators move. Now here's my next dumb question. The user manual that I have talks about accessing the instrument cluster functions by depressing the button on the turn signal lever. My turn signal lever has no such button as depicted in the user manual. I do have the two buttons on the dash board, but all I can do is reset the odometer, change the clock to PM, or change the clock to 24 HR mode. Pressing those buttons gives me no other functions (like outside temperature, etc.). What am I missing? Thanks
#11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Help from over the pond

Have you re-tried what I posted in post #3

Last edited by marti5; 10-02-2009 at 01:15 PM.
#12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 04:22 PM
n00b

bobdisk is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstesney View Post
The user manual that I have talks about accessing the instrument cluster functions by depressing the button on the turn signal lever. My turn signal lever has no such button as depicted in the user manual. I do have the two buttons on the dash board, but all I can do is reset the odometer, change the clock to PM, or change the clock to 24 HR mode. Pressing those buttons gives me no other functions (like outside temperature, etc.). What am I missing? Thanks
It sounds daft saying it, but you are missing the button on the end of the turn signal lever ! Really, the On Board Computer is there, but some models were not supplied with the control for it. You have to buy a new turn signal lever with that switch button fitted, (picture in instruction book), then you will get those functions, MPG, miles left until next fuel fill, outside temperature, etc. After fitting the new switch, it will have to be activated by a BMW dealer.

The Hidden Functions have a knack to getting them. You have to go to 19 to unlock all of them. Until you unlock them you only get tests 1 and 2. Press and hold trip reset and turn key to first position. Display will show "test" and "1". Press trip reset to go to test 19. Wait for display to show "off". Press trip reset for 1/4 second, and release. then quickly press trip reset again to access tests 3 to 21. Details are described by Marti5 in post 3. Stop pressing when you reach the test you want. Then press the time change to get to the sub-menus. If it goes back to normal milage and clock display, you have come out of the test mode, and have to turn the key off and start again to get back into it.

Last edited by bobdisk; 02-15-2011 at 04:47 PM.
#13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 06:09 AM
n00b

Phil Payne is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdisk View Post
The Hidden Functions have a knack to getting them. You have to go to 19 to unlock all of them. Until you unlock them you only get tests 1 and 2. Press and hold trip reset and turn key to first position. Display will show "test" and "1". Press trip reset to go to test 19.
Hi, everyone. Just joined so I can post - I'm helping a friend with a couple of issues on his 2002 330Ci and I can't get the tests to unlock.

I've followed the odometer/key instructions and I can access Menu 1 submenus 1.1 to 1.7 but I can't get to any other menu - it just wraps back round to 1.0 again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)