Can you put an OEM facelift sedan's hood onto a pre-facelift sedan? Just the Hood... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
quality

Car: 2001 330i & 2011 550i
Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Question Can you put an OEM facelift sedan's hood onto a pre-facelift sedan? Just the Hood...

Can you put an OEM facelift sedan's hood onto a pre-facelift sedan?
Just swapping the hood and not doing the entire facelift project

I just went thru alot of threads where some of you saying yes it can be done, and some saying no.

I know Seibon makes a facelift style CF hood/grill for pre-facelift sedans and it fits perfectly. Does the OEM hoods retrofit the exactly?

I would love to do this! As my current hood has a small dent. Again, I do not want to do the entire facelift project but just the hood swap.

It's like having the best of both worlds...

More masculine headlamps with a wide aggressive grill structure...

This would be cool if it works...

Old 07-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car: Metamorphosis of the E34/92
Photos:
Bimmermann is on a distinguished road
Hood and fender look identical. Check inside and measure, but it looks as you'll be OK.
Bimmermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I think it should work. As far as I understand, the aftermarket guys like Vornsteiner only sell one hood for the E46 sedan, regardless of whether facelifted or not.

Most of what I found through a quick google search were more threads like this that you posted on other forums. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Perhaps see realoem and check if all the connecting parts have teh same part numbers

Good luck!

: call bavauto and tell them you are thinking of buying a replacement hood due to the dent, but that you'd like to upgrade to the facelifted if possible. They may be able to tell you right away, or they can do the research for you and then send you an email. Just a thought.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
quality

Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz View Post
I think it should work. As far as I understand, the aftermarket guys like Vornsteiner only sell one hood for the E46 sedan, regardless of whether facelifted or not.

Most of what I found through a quick google search were more threads like this that you posted on other forums. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Perhaps see realoem and check if all the connecting parts have teh same part numbers

Good luck!

: call bavauto and tell them you are thinking of buying a replacement hood due to the dent, but that you'd like to upgrade to the facelifted if possible. They may be able to tell you right away, or they can do the research for you and then send you an email. Just a thought.
yeah...there is a Seibon GTR one as well that is beyond bad ass!

Quote:
Okay...Seibon manages to do this and a few folks claimed it was also do-able for 100% OEM hoods...
anyone?

These are prefacelift sedans with facelift style Vorsteiner and Seibon CF hoods

Last edited by Delmarco; 07-14-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
quality

Photos:
Garage
DEBATE DONE! It can be done.
SNA77 did it to his car and I have indeed seen pics of what he's done. When you think about it, the hoods should be exactly the same since the engine bay structures and supports beneath the hood are the same.
Only where the headlamps arch into the dip at the center grills you get a slight deviation, but the hood flaps over the headlamp shell at this arch so you won't notice unless closing the hood and checking under to see how it lines up. That said, there can also be a slight space along the headlight top line.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
Yes, you can do this without doing a complete facelift. It lines up pretty good, but not perfect over the headlights.
THANK YOU!!!! You are my hero SNA77!

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)