Can my new 2011 BMW 328 do the following? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 02:59 AM
n00b
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JeffZX is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Can my new 2011 BMW 328 do the following?

1. On my '99 Camry I could scan radio stations, and when I hit upon a station I liked, I could press the scan button again and lock on the station. Does the 328i have a similar feature.

2. On my '99 Camry the sun visor had an extension which I could pull on when I flipped it over to the driver's side window to shield me from the sun. Is there a way to manipulate the sun visor in the BMW to prevent the sun from hitting my face? If not, can I purchase a BMW visor that either is longer or has an extend feature?

3. The climate control section of the owner's manual states that the outside air supply is blocked when the automatic climate control is switched off. Is there a way to have the fan on and get outside air without turning on the climate control and, therefore, the air conditioning or heat? I could then get fresh air without the cost of gas caused by the cooling or heating. Further, when the automatic climate control is on the fan speed decreases, and I prefer a stronger fan speed, but also prefer the outside air.

4. If I turn on the air conditioning but not the climate control, is the outside air supply blocked?

5. The dealer rep said that the car "learns" the way you drive and adapts to your driving style. Is this true or just selling mumbo jumbo?

6. Do others hear a very high pitch noise when opening or closing either a car door or the trunk? The sound last about 45 seconds, and is quite irritating when the vehicle is in the garage. I called the general manager of the dealer, and he said that this should not occur and requested I bring the vehicle in for servicing. Is there a way to turn this sound off?


Thanks!!

Last edited by JeffZX; 05-24-2011 at 03:20 AM.
JeffZX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 01:28 AM
n00b
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JeffZX is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffZX View Post
1. On my '99 Camry I could scan radio stations, and when I hit upon a station I liked, I could press the scan button again and lock on the station. Does the 328i have a similar feature.

2. On my '99 Camry the sun visor had an extension which I could pull on when I flipped it over to the driver's side window to shield me from the sun. Is there a way to manipulate the sun visor in the BMW to prevent the sun from hitting my face? If not, can I purchase a BMW visor that either is longer or has an extend feature?

3. The climate control section of the owner's manual states that the outside air supply is blocked when the automatic climate control is switched off. Is there a way to have the fan on and get outside air without turning on the climate control and, therefore, the air conditioning or heat? I could then get fresh air without the cost of gas caused by the cooling or heating. Further, when the automatic climate control is on the fan speed decreases, and I prefer a stronger fan speed, but also prefer the outside air.

4. If I turn on the air conditioning but not the climate control, is the outside air supply blocked?

5. The dealer rep said that the car "learns" the way you drive and adapts to your driving style. Is this true or just selling mumbo jumbo?

6. Do others hear a very high pitch noise when opening or closing either a car door or the trunk? The sound last about 45 seconds, and is quite irritating when the vehicle is in the garage. I called the general manager of the dealer, and he said that this should not occur and requested I bring the vehicle in for servicing. Is there a way to turn this sound off?


Thanks!!
Appreciate if members of this forum could answer any of these questions. Thanks.
JeffZX is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JeffZX is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffZX View Post
1. On my '99 Camry I could scan radio stations, and when I hit upon a station I liked, I could press the scan button again and lock on the station. Does the 328i have a similar feature.

2. On my '99 Camry the sun visor had an extension which I could pull on when I flipped it over to the driver's side window to shield me from the sun. Is there a way to manipulate the sun visor in the BMW to prevent the sun from hitting my face? If not, can I purchase a BMW visor that either is longer or has an extend feature?

3. The climate control section of the owner's manual states that the outside air supply is blocked when the automatic climate control is switched off. Is there a way to have the fan on and get outside air without turning on the climate control and, therefore, the air conditioning or heat? I could then get fresh air without the cost of gas caused by the cooling or heating. Further, when the automatic climate control is on the fan speed decreases, and I prefer a stronger fan speed, but also prefer the outside air.

4. If I turn on the air conditioning but not the climate control, is the outside air supply blocked?

5. The dealer rep said that the car "learns" the way you drive and adapts to your driving style. Is this true or just selling mumbo jumbo?

6. Do others hear a very high pitch noise when opening or closing either a car door or the trunk? The sound last about 45 seconds, and is quite irritating when the vehicle is in the garage. I called the general manager of the dealer, and he said that this should not occur and requested I bring the vehicle in for servicing. Is there a way to turn this sound off?


Thanks!!
Since nobody knows or chose to answer, let me try and respond based on further knowledge I have acquired:

1. The vehicle automatically populates the radio stations depending on where you drive. You can then chose among these stations, or "scan" by pressing the + or - button on your steering wheel.

2. Dealer said nobody had ever asked that question. Hard to believe. But then again given the lack of responses on this forum maybe not. BMW does not have alternative sun visors. Not good for a $40,000 car.

3. & 4. Dealer said that fresh air is entering even if the climate control is not turned on. If so, BMW needs to edit its Owner's Manual.

5. Stated independently (I didn't bring it up) by service manager. Not quite sure how the vehicle does this or how long it takes, but service manager stated that if somebody else drives your BMW for a few months it would drive differently to you than it had before you lent the vehicle. Ideas?

6. Serve staff had never heard, and could not hear in semi-enclosed semi-noisy garage. I hate high pitch sounds with a passion (I have had intermittent problems with tinnitus) and had I know about this sound I most likely would not have purchased the car. Pleasant sounds were a major factor to me in deciding between the IS250 and the BMW 328i, and was impressed with the very pleasent sounds the BMW made when the seat beat was not fastened or parking brake left on, and so on.

Last edited by JeffZX; 06-14-2011 at 10:19 PM.
JeffZX is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 10:13 PM
OMFG another one!?
 
witeshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 14,697
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Thanks for sharing.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
witeshark is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Festivus yes, bagels no..
 
yammahamma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 2,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffZX View Post
2. Dealer said nobody had ever asked that question. Hard to believe. But then again given the lack of responses on this forum maybe not. BMW does not have alternative sun visors. Not good for a $40,000 car.
Personally, I'm glad there isn't one of those extender panels...I've always thought they looked silly. To each his own, I guess. But I prefer my car without.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffZX View Post
5. Stated independently (I didn't bring it up) by service manager. Not quite sure how the vehicle does this or how long it takes, but service manager stated that if somebody else drives your BMW for a few months it would drive differently to you than it had before you lent the vehicle. Ideas
I have heard this. I believe there is a feature that you can enable so it will remember individual driving styles per each key. Meaning that your wife will have her own key and you will have yours...so when you use your key to start the car then it will switch to your driving style and vice versa. I think seat and mirror positions are also stored and changed depending on the key.

yammahamma is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 05:26 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JeffZX is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yammahamma View Post
Personally, I'm glad there isn't one of those extender panels...I've always thought they looked silly. To each his own, I guess. But I prefer my car without.

Most likely depends on how tall you are and/or how far you tilt back in your seat. I am 6'1" so when I tilt the seat back the sun visor provides minimal protection from the sun when shifted over to the driver's side. I am surprised BMW does not at least have an option for a sun visor that extends. My friend's Lexus has a groove that lets him slide the visor further down if he chooses. I suppose I could mitigate the problem by installing some form of UV protective tint on the window?

I have heard this. I believe there is a feature that you can enable so it will remember individual driving styles per each key. Meaning that your wife will have her own key and you will have yours...so when you use your key to start the car then it will switch to your driving style and vice versa. I think seat and mirror positions are also stored and changed depending on the key.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I knew the keys stored the miles driven and other data, but I didn't know the capabilities were that extensive. Nice to know.
JeffZX is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 05:28 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JeffZX is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yammahamma View Post
Personally, I'm glad there isn't one of those extender panels...I've always thought they looked silly. To each his own, I guess. But I prefer my car without.

Most likely depends on how tall you are and/or how far you tilt back in your seat. I am 6'1" so when I tilt the seat back the sun visor provides minimal protection from the sun when shifted over to the driver's side. I am surprised BMW does not at least have an option for a sun visor that extends. My friend's Lexus has a groove that lets him slide the visor further down if he chooses. I suppose I could mitigate the problem by installing some form of UV protective tint on the window?

I have heard this. I believe there is a feature that you can enable so it will remember individual driving styles per each key. Meaning that your wife will have her own key and you will have yours...so when you use your key to start the car then it will switch to your driving style and vice versa. I think seat and mirror positions are also stored and changed depending on the key.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I knew the keys stored the miles driven and other data, but I didn't know the capabilities were that extensive. Nice to know. However, I haven't heard that you need to enable this feature. If so, how do you do this?
JeffZX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HID Kit for 2011 328xi frab 3-Series (E36) 3 03-20-2012 12:22 AM
4ngiefest 2011 - April 2, 2011 - ATL Chrissspyy South East 0 03-20-2011 09:10 PM
BMW Recalling 2011 X5 And X6 administrator BMW News 1 06-10-2010 12:47 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome