BMW Werkz banner

A/c warm & cold air

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  swagmanjohn 
#1 · (Edited)
E 46 320 keeps blowing compressor coils,what happens after i fit another coil is that,my a/c will work & there will be very cold air from the drivers vent (9 degrees) but the middle vents and passengers vents you get only warm and slightly cold air,and the floor vents just blows out hot air,the compressor continuously engages & never reaches the set point temp,even if the a/c is off and i turn on the fan to get out side air,i still get hot air from the engine,though its cold outside.
After starting the car in the morning and turning on the a/c,all vents will blow extremely cold air till the engine becomes warm and the vents start to blow warm air with only the drivers vent blowing cold air.
I have vacuumed and regassed the system,changed the air con compressor together with the expasion valve and still no change.The last thing i want to change is the heater valve,do u think its worth changing as i have paid a lot for changing components and a/c still not working sufficiently.
WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM....?:(

#2 ·
finally fixed the problem,it was the ambiet temperature sensor,must have come off when the bumper hit something,the ambient temp. sensor was open circuit,which led to the temperature to display - 40 º Celcius,this temp is used together with the inside temperature ( Y factor) which controls opening of the heater valve,so it would never fully close as it was trying to compensate for the freezing temperatures outside even though ur a/c is on thus mixing cold & hot air.
If you do not have temperature display on ur car,on the instrument cluster test fuction unlock test 19 to off then go to test 7.1 which will give you the current ambient temp. sensor,if there is a short in the ambient temp. sensor,the heater valve will stay closed even if you select the heater mode......smiling again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.