Breaking in new bmw - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 11:55 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
J325ci04 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey every1 I'm new to the BMW world. I will hopefully have my new 04' 325ci tommorow. I'm real excited. I was just looking for some advice on the proper way to break in the new car and any other advice anyone has for a newbie to a bimmer. thanx any comments are greatly appreciated.

-Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 11:59 PM
5th Gear Member

Silver4evr is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice ride. Post some pics when you have time.

There are some previous posts on this topic with many different opinions. My advice is to read your manually carefully and follow its requirements. Talk to the service manager at your dealer for some good add'l info.

Take it easy. Vary your speed as much as possible. Don't use the cruise control. Don't drive for long periods of time at the same speed. Don't floor it from a standing start. Don't go over 100mph. Remember, you're also breaking in the trany, suspension, brakes, etc. besides the motor.

I took my ride from 30 to 80 pretty quickly several times but mostly kept my foot out of it. I did try to drive on various types of roads (street, hiway,freeway) as much as possible. Also took different routes to work and back home. Planned several medium drives. Took it for a spin on the freeway several times just to drive at different speeds.

Good luck.

2004 E60 530is, Delivered 12/12/03, TiSilver/LGrey, PP, SP,PS, PDC, ACC, FRS, Step, Xenons, clear bra, body colored rear inserts. (Retired, 1983 henna red 320is)

2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition
#3 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 02:17 AM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
give your car to a handicapped senior citizen for a few months. no flooring or abuse there.

i am saying this, because no matter what you will floor away at least once when you see a poorly built japanese car such as a honda civic dx try to pass you.

good luck with the new car and take it easy .

#4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 03:39 AM
n00b

MY 330XI is an unknown quantity at this point
Congrats and welcome to the BMW family

I agree with the first two replies you got.

Just take it easy and do not speed.

Best Regards,

Donald

<span style='color:blue'>Shopping for a 2004 BMW 330XI</span>
#5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 08:40 AM
n00b

Phantasie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Torque@Jun 1 2004, 01:57 AM
i am saying this, because no matter what you will floor away at least once when you see a poorly built japanese car such as a honda civic dx try to pass you.
lol!
#6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 01:05 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
As far as long trips what is considered long? because me and my friends are goin to my friend's house in Long Island which is like 35 miles from my house and we're going which is gonna be the second day of having the car, is that a good trip to go on? i dont plan on speeding but it was said that i should vary the speeds and not go too far at one speed even though i'll be changing highways and such.

-Jay
#7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 06:57 AM
Neutral Member

Gargoyle69 is an unknown quantity at this point
35 miles is definitely not to far. I would suggest not taking it on trip longer than 100 miles at a time, that is what was told to me by the tranny guys who have put in new and better trannies for my other vehicles, all of the other info that the guys here are saying is good info. Have fun breaking her in, be careful with her, she is a fine luxurious woman, treat her as such.

Silver 2000 323i with sport package
#8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 07:47 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
yea i just realized i'm not too worried about that trip. The trip home from the dealership is 92 miles from Conneticutt. Should we stop a few times on the way home and rest the car for a few mins or somethin since that is a bit of a longer trip than 35 miles?
#9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 08:29 AM
Neutral Member

Gargoyle69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe you could stop and get yourselves a bite to eat on the way back at the half way mark. But most importantly enjoy the drive, take the back roads if you can and that will give you the varying speeds that you need. The break in process should be done at your 500 mile mark and then after that you can treat her like your old lady, if that is your fancy. All of the trannies that I had put in I babied until they hit the 500 mile mark and then I stepped it up a notch. But I didn't really get on them until I hit the 1000 mile mark. After that I let them have it and they all did just fine.

Silver 2000 323i with sport package
#10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 09:18 AM
n00b

wagerboy is an unknown quantity at this point
i wouldnt worry, you will just be sitting in traffic on the lie anyway ghead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)