BMW Werkz banner

Brake pad warning light still on

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  kung 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 y reg 320dse and the brake pad wear light came on on dash so i replaced the brake pads with new plus the pad sensors ! the brake peddle now travels down 3/4 of the way slowly but the car stops ok so i suppose they need bleeding ? also there is a wering sound from read when im going along the road (might be discs) there is a thin build up of light rust on inner/outer edges but didnt happen with old pads plus the brake pad wear light is still on ! i did notice another cable (looks like another sensor) going to the centre of the wheel hubs cant remember if all or 2 ! is this another sensor that needs replacing ? or is it somthing else ? ive changed pads/discs etc and done services before on most of my cars & bikes with no problem but to have 3 things happening now is a pain ! any help much appreciated.

#2 ·
Im sure you do need to bleed the brakes if your pedal is traveling this far, it shouldnt! The other wiring you are seeing im sure is the abs wiring going to each wheel. If your brake pad light is still on you may have a bad connection somewhere. When I replaced my pads the light went out on its on and I also had to replace one sensor. Check all your wiring and connections to make sure the are very clean.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for your reply ! i will bleed the brakes, also sorted the brake warning light problem ! it turns out you just need to turn ignition on so lights on dash are on without starting the engine then leave it in that position then after about 2 mins it resets the sensors and the light went out ! also the wering sound stopped ! jacked car up and spun wheels in turn and the drivers rear wheel was making the noise so restripped brake caliper and cleaned, re-copper greased anti squeel areas and noticed a small rubbing mark so took it for a short run and thats sorted, brake pedal doesnt travel as far down now and is better must have been an air bubble but will still bleed them.
Regards
Tony.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.