Brake Pad Indicators - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 02:03 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Meezy is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Brake Pad Indicators

Hey what's up? I think I'm being scammed by the local mechanics so I figure you guys would be the better people to ask.

Ok, so my brake lining light came on. I figured this should be easy enough for any shop to do, so I had my front and rear pads changed. The mechanic then came out to tell me my brake lining light was still on.

I figured he was trying to screw me out of more money cuz I read online that in order to reset that light, I would simply have to turn my key to the second position and that would do it. Well, the light is still on, and I have read that the "Brake Pad Indicators" may have been worn and need to be replaced.

So all in all, does it sound like I'm on the right path to a solution? If so, is it difficult to replace these indicators? I've seen some online for a couple of bucks. Are these the ones?

HELP!!! (thanks in advance)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
year model? just to further help you in detail?

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#3 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 05:35 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Those look similar to the ones I replaced in my car, I actually broke the wires and the brake wear light wouldnt go out. On my car, there's one on the left front and one on the right rear.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 06:25 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Once the brake pad wear indicator goes of, the sensor will have to be replaced. That is simply how they were designed. If you had noticed the pads were wearing down and had replaced them before the light went off, you would have been fine. Replacing the sensors is easy. Unplug old. Plug new ones in.

Um, now that I think about it, you may have to remove the brakes to wedged the sensor in with the pad.

If you are responsible enough to keep an eye on your brake pad wear and you don't mind having teh light on your dashboard, it may just be better to leave everything as is and just replace the sensors the next time you replace the brake pads.

Otherwise, you will need to remove the brake pads that have the sensor attached to them -- one in the front, one in the back, but I don't know which side it would be for your car.

Best of luck.

#5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 09:21 PM
n00b

yrshaik is on a distinguished road
Yes, the sensor will have to be replaced. There is a strip of copper at the end which fits into the brake pad. The copper strip breaks, triggering a warning.
One on front and one on back but not sure which side.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 12:29 PM
1st Gear Member

spfdfanatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Any tricks to getting the damn sensor back in the pad? I've broke two of those damn things trying to get them on, I finally decided to just live with the light after spending $60 on two damn sensors!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)