Brake Flush Question - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 08:15 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sunjazz is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I'd like to flush my brake fluid myself (I have a pressure bleeder reservoir), however in the Bentley manual it states that "E46 cars require special BMW service equipment to properly bleed ABS/DSC system....top off reservior and connect BMW diagnosis and info system to 16 pin DLC/OBD II, call up service function; bleeding...attach bleed hose and allow bleeding procedure to cycle hydraulic control module valves with bleed screw open."

Does anyone know why I couldn't bleed the brakes without the stealership equipment? A local service expert told me to just disconnect the battery while bleeding. Should I have any concerns?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 09:34 AM
1st Gear Member

2001BMW330iRob is an unknown quantity at this point
Simple, One-Person Brake Bleeding System.

Do-It-Yourself Brake Bleeding without the assistance of your wife/husband/girlfriend, etc. No shop air, electricity, or external power of any type is required. You can have the freedom to bleed your brakes at the track, home, shop or anywhere you choose. It is rugged and works just like the $300 units that the “big brand” automotive tool companies sell.

The POWER BLEEDER ™ uses pressurized brake fluid to force air and contamination out of your lines and cylinders, so you'll get all the air out of your system the first time you bleed. No more bleeding and re-bleeding to get an air-free system. Power Bleeder kits will work on traction control, ABS, and conventional braking systems and they will work with most brake fluids including DOT 5.

These one-person Brake Bleeders are simply awesome! Once in a while a really great product comes along that makes your life so much easier, is inexpensive, and works better than expected. From my own experience using this brake bleeder I firmly believe that this is one of them. I sell the product because I bought one, used it, and loved it.

Here are some key benefits:

Bleed your brakes single handedly. No more torture sessions for your wife/girlfriend/husband, etc.
Do a safer, more reliable, and better job.
No electricity or shop air or spare tire air is required. A few pumps of the handle and you're ready to go so you're not locked into using the unit at the shop. Use it at the track, garage, shop, in the field, or anywhere you need to go.
Fast & Easy to use
With this type of bleeder you can see the fluid exiting the caliper. This makes it easier to tell when you have purged all the contaminants and air in your brake lines.
Affordable
Works with DOT 3, 4, & 5 Fluids
There are several models to suit your needs and budget
All bleeders come with everything you need to bleed your hydraulic brake or clutch system and the full manufacturer's 1 year warranty.
Each Kit comes with a 1/2 gallon tank, pressure gauge, and an adapter or adapters which enable it to bleed a select group of vehicles. The Pro and Magnum Power Bleeder Kits include three adapters which fit nearly all vehicles. If you are a professsional technician we recommend the Magnum model which inlcudes a longer 6' hose, quick-release swivel-connectors, and a larger 1 gallon tank - all features which make daily use more efficient.

There are many Power Bleeder models to suit your needs and budget. To see which adapters you need to fit the types of vehicles you work on, please take a look at the Product Application Guide. The different kits are listed below.

Want to make your brake bleeding a whole lot easier? This handy brake fluid waste bottle hangs from a lug nut or suspension component while you are bleeding the caliper. Slip the bleeder bottle hose end over your caliper bleeder valve and the fluid will go directly into the bottle. Hands off. All you have to worry about is opening and closing the bleeder valve. No more juggling!

This time-saving tool is the perfect accessory for any of our brake bleeders.

Tip: When you're done bleeding each valve, slowly remove the tube from the bleeder valve. By allowing air to enter the tube at the bleeder valve the excess fluid in the tube will run into the waste bottle. That way you won't spill fluid. Keeps you and the brakes nice and clean!

-No Leak Storage Bung
-Cable Hanger
-Bottom Tube Fluid Entry

Note: Please dispose of brake fluid properly. Brake fluid is a poison. Do not swallow or get brake fluid in your eyes. Brake fluid can damage the finish on your car. Do not allow brake fluid to contact paint or other finshes on your car.

http://trackhaus.com/category-exec/category_id/7

http://trackhaus.com/product-exec/product_id/106

Great Products, start with the RR, then RL, then PasF, finally Drivers Front.

When you are at the final bleeder and you are finished bleeding tip the Pressure bleeder so that the pick up hose is not picking up any more fluid.
This will allow the Brake master cylinder to drop to the Max line.
When it does tighten the bleeder valve.
Your done.
Also make sure you de-pressurize the Pressure bleeder before you untighten the Master Cylinder hook up, Or else you will have Brake fluid everywhere.
The way you do it is slowly unscrew the top on the Motive pressure bleeder.
Also pressurize the unit no more than 15psi, more than enough.
I did my 97 318i and my 2001 330i with no problems.
Worked perfectly, no lights on the dash.
Infact corrected brake lights on the dash.
Good luck!
#3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 09:44 AM
n00b

sunjazz is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thanks. I already have the pressure bleeder, was wondering about the statement in the Bentley manual about needing the service tool to cycle the hyrdaulic control module.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 10:21 AM
1st Gear Member

2001BMW330iRob is an unknown quantity at this point
Well if you want to get all the fluid out maybe that might be correct.
However you will get 85% of the fluid out, and you will be using brand new fluid.
Probably better than a 100% flush at the dealer with whatever they have in their machine.
When you DIY you know exactly what you are putting in the system, when you let the dealer do it you don't know what the hell they did.
They might not even have bled the brakes yet charged you.
You know what I mean.
Better 85% fluid change at 100% new fluid
Than 100% fluid change with 50% crap or not even a change and you have it on your bill!
You know what I mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)