Brake Dust - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 11:11 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jody007 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
My wife has a new E90 and the brake dust from the front rotors builds up so fast it needs to washed like twice a day, according to her. I have an E46 ad go weeks without noticing any dust.
Any way to divert the dust from the wheels? Anyone had luck with thse after market dust covers?

T.I.A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 12:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
My INDY Tech hates them, claims they build up heat and warp rotors. Teh best solution is to change to a low dust brake pad ie CERAMIC or PBR/AXXIS.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
I have the PBR AXXIS ceramic pads and they produce a lot of dust, but work very well.

Switchign to ceramic pads isnt because of dust, rather a performance gain.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 12:43 AM
2nd Gear Member

zibby is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by ///M Power@Aug 22 2005, 04:57 PM
I have the PBR AXXIS ceramic pads and they produce a lot of dust, but work very well.

[snapback]371662[/snapback]
They sold you crappy ones! ceramic pads are composed of ceramic fibers, nonferrous filler materials, bonding agents, and possibly small amounts of metal. Lighter in color and more expensive than other brake pads, ceramic pads are cleaner and quieter, and offer excellent braking characteristics without wearing down the rotors. They virtually produces no dust !
#5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 12:53 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
There is still a decent amount of dust. I understand ceramic pads are SUPPOSED to produce less dust, but the reason I got them was to avoid brake fading. High temperatures are easier to withstand with ceramic pads over metallic based ones.

Check for some good low dust pads at www.ebcbrakes.com

#6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 12:53 AM
n00b

sycow is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by zibby+Aug 22 2005, 11:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zibby @ Aug 22 2005, 11:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-///M Power@Aug 22 2005, 04:57 PM

[snapback]371662[/snapback]
They sold you crappy ones! ceramic pads are composed of ceramic fibers, nonferrous filler materials, bonding agents, and possibly small amounts of metal. Lighter in color and more expensive than other brake pads, ceramic pads are cleaner and quieter, and offer excellent braking characteristics without wearing down the rotors. They virtually produces no dust !
[snapback]371771[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
He got PBR/AXXIS made for Taliban fighters in Afghanistan - Ha. Ha, Ha ... thats why so dusty!
#7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 12:56 AM
Keep it Copacetic

yes, turnermotorsport are Taliban fighters.....?

#8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 12:59 AM
n00b

sycow is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by ///M Power@Aug 22 2005, 11:56 PM
yes, turnermotorsport are Taliban fighters.....?
[snapback]371781[/snapback]
just kidding, only for laugh, do not take personal.
#9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Neutral Member

jdmfan13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to jdmfan13 Send a message via MSN to jdmfan13 Send a message via Yahoo to jdmfan13
The AXXIS Deluxe Plus pads are low dust, might give those a whirl. Have them on another car myself )
#10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 12:24 PM
n00b

tunafabulous is an unknown quantity at this point
Jody007, I suppose that's the price you pay for fantastic BMW brakes. Brake Dust Covers are a bad idea, they trap the heat inside and the brakes will eventually start to melt_
#11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 12:44 PM
n00b

Jody007 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by tunafabulous@Aug 23 2005, 11:24 AM
Jody007, I suppose that's the price you pay for fantastic BMW brakes. Brake Dust Covers are a bad idea, they trap the heat inside and the brakes will eventually start to melt_
[snapback]371855[/snapback]

Look as if I'll be cleaning wheels often.
#12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member

2001BMW325xi is an unknown quantity at this point
Twice a day!!!! Wow now thats too much. Can ya put up snaps of how much do you get in a typical day. I get a lot of brake dust but usually I wash the wheels like twice a month maybe and that considering my threshold for dirty wheels is very very low...:-). But twice a day is ridiculous.....but all the forums I have read have told me that whatever you do there is no such thing as no brake dust.....now the question is what is the lowest you can get to none. My mechanic has ecommended Ceramics to me but right now my mechanic does not know my financial condition...lol....so the car will have to do with crappy OEM Bimmer pads for some more time.
#13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 04:04 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
tell her to stop riding the damn brakes. then go out and buy ebc pads. but if you drive like a race car ANY pad will create dust. when i really hammer my ebcs they make enough dust to be annoying. but i only clean the wheels once every 2 weeks or so.

#14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 01:39 PM
n00b

drgeeforce is an unknown quantity at this point
My wife has a set of vented Kleenwheels they work nice, no black dust, she drives mainly highways during off-peak, so the brakes don't heat up like city driving.
#15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 03:46 PM
n00b

gwilson001 is an unknown quantity at this point
I switched to Pagid and have found them to produce much less dust - they stop nicely too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)