brake change problem on E90 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
irish lad is on a distinguished road
brake change problem on E90

Hi guys,

I changed the brakes on my 320D but the warning light is still lit on the dash. Does this need to be reset or something?? I took her to a mechanic and he told me that i needed to buy brake leads to get it to go out. I done this and he fitted them but the light is still on??

Any light you can shed on this problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks Guys
irish lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
With new sensors on it should have gone out....disconnect the battery for 20 mins, neg 1st off and 1st on....make sure you have the radio code if required.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jmd_forest is on a distinguished road
The dash "BRAKE" light will NOT reset by itself or by disconnecting the battery. It MUST be reset by a computer input (dealer, third party, or if you have a later model e90, via your own dash controls)

You should be able to reset the brake light via the dash controls and the steering column stalk. This is the procedure I used successfully:

Step 1
Insert key into slot
Step 2
Press start/stop button without depressing clutch/brake and wait for the service reminder to dissapear.
Step 3
Immediately after service reminder goes out, press and hold the odometer reset. After 3 secs a warning triangle will appear, keep the odo. button pressed and after another 2-3 secs the Oil can will appear. I f you hold it too long (10 secs in total) you will overshoot the runway and some German writing will appear giving the software level/ can bus etc. of the car. Go back to the beginning and start again.
Step 4
You are now in the service menu, use the toggle switch on indicator stalk to scroll up/down through the various service items.
Step 5
When you have the item you want to reset showing, press the BC button on end of indicator stalk. Reset should now appear in the display. Press in and hold the BC button for 2-3 secs and a clock will start whirling around and hey presto, its done
Step 6
You can now either scroll up/down to select another item (as in step 4) or you can press the start/stop button to exit.

I'm not sure of the production date when BMW enabled resetting the "BRAKE" light via the dash/stalk control but the very early e90s did not have this capability.

jmd_forest

Last edited by jmd_forest; 10-10-2009 at 07:13 PM.
jmd_forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Thanks mate. Not sure if will work on my car tho as its 4 year old. But i willlg ive it a try this evening and let you know.

Info much appreciated
Old 10-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
Yep JMD is correct ....just realised its an E90...sorry

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
No worries mate - hey at least you tried!! God love BMW drivers!!! This is not the first time you guys have pulled me out of a hole!!

Thanks again
Old 10-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Hi again mate.

Bad news....i just tried ur fix and it doesn't work :-(

After 3 sec it comes up with an ABS warning symbol. Then after that it comes up with like a serial no or something....i guess my early verion does not have the capability to reset in this way.

Can you tell me what i do now to reset. Preferably i would like to do this without going through a costly dealership.........my mechanic put her on the computer to see if any warning codes came up. Just to make sure there wasn't some underlying problem casuing the brake light to stay on. It didn't come up with any codes...could he put the light out by putting her on the computer again.

p.s please excuse the non technical jargon i used there - im a bit of a novice at this stuff!

Hope you can help again?

Eternally grateful

Lee
Old 10-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jmd_forest is on a distinguished road
You'll need either a dealer or an independent with e90 specific diagnostics or you can buy a setup yourself. I use the Bavarian Technics setup and am pleased with it but they are not the only game in town.

You'll need to reset the front brake "Condition Based Service" and any brake fault via the diagnostics setup.

jmd_forest
jmd_forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)