BMW Warranty Period Almost Up - Advice Needed - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 04:58 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
skyeblue818 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
BMW Warranty Period Almost Up - Advice Needed

My bumper to bumper warranty is expiring in the next couple of weeks. I drive a BMW 325Ci with the 4 year 50k warranty.

My question is, since my warranty is up soon, and I only have about 32k miles on my car, what kinds of things can I bring up for the dealership to replace since I rather have them fix it now in case problems come up later.

Are the service advisors very helpful with coming up bogus problems so that I can take advantage of the warranty before its expiration?

What kinds of things can I tell them to look at?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 05:22 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Any chance you can pay the thousand bucks and extend it?

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member

AlpineWhiteE46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to AlpineWhiteE46
I'm dealing with this too. I have 43700 miles on my car (after just two years) As far as I know, there's no extended warranty from the dealership...I think you have to go third-party. I'll post when I find out more concrete info, as I hope you will too!

Are YOU a Lost Cherry? Find yourself at LostCherry.com. I did: lostcherry.com/dave
#4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member

AlpineWhiteE46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to AlpineWhiteE46
Oh, one more thing. I was told by a friend who had a 325ci to get the window seals replaced. I hear with the lack of a window frame, those seals get worn out over time. I'd just make up some bogus "it happens enough to bother me" excuse...I plan on using that one.

Are YOU a Lost Cherry? Find yourself at LostCherry.com. I did: lostcherry.com/dave
#5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 01:16 AM
n00b

skyeblue818 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Yes, I don't want to extend the warranty because apparently it costs a few thousand dollars.

I'm gonna chance it, especially since I'm relatively low on miles.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 09:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Hootie is on a distinguished road
I understand there's a huge concern for a car owner to suddenly lose their warranty, but let's be honest here. From the vast experience of the people on this forum (and others) BMW's are one of two types of cars: those that run flawlessly when maintained properly and those that roll off the assembly line with what can only be described as "factory installed headaches". From day one, either you have problems with your car, or you don't.

Let's assume you've had no major problems thus far with your car. With proper preventative maintenance, your car should offer you no major or expensive repairs while you own it. Now it's a matter of comparing the costs of a 3rd party extended warranty (shady) to the costs to occasionally have a certified mechanic or dealership diagnose and possibly work on the car. Or, option 3: for approximately $500 you could purchase a Bentley manual, a Peake fault-code reader and the appropriate tools to DIY. This forum is included, free of charge. :-)
#7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 07:00 AM
Neutral Member

441tech is on a distinguished road
Well said, Hootie. I only paid $135 for my brand new, paperback Bently manual, and it has served me VERY well. Aside from tearing apart the transmission, the manual covers EVERYTHING. For me, an extended warranty is a waste of money. In my opinion, they're for domestic shit, 'cause those are the cars that really need them.

Also, this forum is a lifeline. There really are a lot of knowledgable and talented folk in this forum. If you don't know, SOMEONE in here surely will. And, most people are cool and explain things well. It's like getting to talk directly to a mechanic without some stealership saying, "Well, just bring it in and we'll look at it." ***k that. I HATE dealerships. I used to work in them, so I know first hand most are crooks, and is most of the reason why I got out. Don't get me started....

Anyway, if you have any mechanical aptitude at all, don't sweat the warranty. Get a book and a scanner, talk to the Forum, and there will be very little you won't be able to do.

441tech

Officer: "I see you set the table for four."

Groucho Marx: "That's nothing--I set my alarm clock for eight."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)