BMW sold me a lemon? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2003, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Car:
Posts: 7
Photos:
fly325 is an unknown quantity at this point
So the engine blew on my new 325Ci. Less than half a year old.

The BMW dealership, and BMW Canada is telling me it's not
overed under warranty. I told them I mis-shifted from 4th to
3rd (what an idiot I am), but I wasn't even going fast enough to
over-rev the damn car. I asked for proof of wrong-doing, and
they told me they don't store that kinda stuff in the ECU for my
325 -- only M series vehicles.

Looks like my pistons are chipped, and some valves bent.

Can anyone give me advice? Why else would this happen to my
engine aside from over-rev? They're saying that's the only way.
I'm convinced I was sold a lemon.

The dealership isn't helping, and neither is BMW of Canada.

Is my only option to sue?
fly325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-24-2003, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Houston
Car:
Posts: 2,053
Photos:
MrM3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrM3
i'm sorry to hear about your car, but mis-shifting was your mistake and bmw isnt accountable for that. confessing that you over-revved the engined mightve lost you any case you had, so its gonna be a hard battle if you still try to pursue it. and, depending on state, the lemon law is based on multiple re-occuring problems over a period of time, so a blown engine would not qualify the car as a lemon.

to the best of your knowledge how fast were you going when you downshifted to third? i dont see how you could bend your valves and chip your pistons without exceeding 7k rpm. i hope it all works out, you still may get some cooperation with bmw but you may not get a free engine out of it.
MrM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 10:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Car:
Posts: 7
Photos:
fly325 is an unknown quantity at this point
All I told BMW is that I miss-shifted.
THey came up with this "over-rev" theory. Missing a gear doesn't
necessarily mean over-rev!

I calculated the operating conditions of the car, and I should be able
to get to 140km/hour in 3rd without any problems, and I was no-where
NEAR that speed when it happened. I have 3 other people in the
car who can attest to it!
fly325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 11:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Grand Canyon State
Car:
Posts: 2,146
Photos:
AZ325Ci is on a distinguished road
i'm sorry to hear about that.


i sure wished our member, EXtech, were here to maybe give you some suggestions.
__________________
AZ325Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 10:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Car:
Posts: 124
Photos:
mikefliggity is an unknown quantity at this point
The same thing happened to me. Check this out and I hope it helps.


http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/index.php?...?showtopic=2308
mikefliggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 04:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Car:
Posts: 7
Photos:
Brian330i is an unknown quantity at this point
Just saw this over on www.e46fanatics.com in the "faqs" section, near the bottom:

Q: Ugh!!! My E46 engine suddenly lost all its power while I was cruising down the street.
A: A few reported that while driving as usual, the DSC and engine light would appear and the engine would not rev on demand. BMW had released Tech Service Bulletin addressing this problem on E46 and E39 in February, 99. The solution to it is to replace the throttle body which BMW refers to as an MDK.

Q: What other bizarre problems have been reported?
A: In one person's Y2K car, they were driving along and the DSC light came on, then the car immediately lost power.

Don't know if this is still a problem, but posted it just in case.

When you say the engine blew, can you tell a little more about what exactly happened? Was there a loud bang and the engine quit, for example? Or did it simply quit running?
Brian330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 12:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Car:
Posts: 7
Photos:
fly325 is an unknown quantity at this point
No bang.
I popped the hood right after, and there was no smoke, or weird smell.

Went to the dealer. They stripped the engine and there were bent valves
and cracked pistons.

Can you give me more information on this release???
fly325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 03:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b
 
e46330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Car:
Posts: 21
Photos:
e46330i is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by fly325@Oct 24 2003, 10:29 PM
So the engine blew on my new 325Ci. Less than half a year old.

The BMW dealership, and BMW Canada is telling me it's not
overed under warranty. I told them I mis-shifted from 4th to
3rd (what an idiot I am), but I wasn't even going fast enough to
over-rev the damn car. I asked for proof of wrong-doing, and
they told me they don't store that kinda stuff in the ECU for my
325 -- only M series vehicles.

Looks like my pistons are chipped, and some valves bent.

Can anyone give me advice? Why else would this happen to my
engine aside from over-rev? They're saying that's the only way.
I'm convinced I was sold a lemon.

The dealership isn't helping, and neither is BMW of Canada.

Is my only option to sue?
Wow... I can't believe it... I'm really sorry to hear that.
... and like Mr.M3 said, to be a lemon the same problem has to occur over period of time, which is occuring same problem (3x) and within 1 year. Also, I don't know if you're aware but even if you over-rev. (to redline RPM) the engine will automatically shut-off... I know this, because I've done it before w/ my past bimmer. Hope that helps....
e46330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 05:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Car:
Posts: 148
Photos:
ARCHER is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by e46330i+Nov 21 2003, 05:07 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (e46330i @ Nov 21 2003, 05:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-fly325@Oct 24 2003, 10:29 PM
So the engine blew on my new 325Ci. Less than half a year old.

The BMW dealership, and BMW Canada is telling me it's not
overed under warranty. I told them I mis-shifted from 4th to
3rd (what an idiot I am), but I wasn't even going fast enough to
over-rev the damn car. I asked for proof of wrong-doing, and
they told me they don't store that kinda stuff in the ECU for my
325 -- only M series vehicles.

Looks like my pistons are chipped, and some valves bent.

Can anyone give me advice? Why else would this happen to my
engine aside from over-rev? They're saying that's the only way.
I'm convinced I was sold a lemon.

The dealership isn't helping, and neither is BMW of Canada.

Is my only option to sue?
Wow... I can't believe it... I'm really sorry to hear that.
... and like Mr.M3 said, to be a lemon the same problem has to occur over period of time, which is occuring same problem (3x) and within 1 year. Also, I don't know if you're aware but even if you over-rev. (to redline RPM) the engine will automatically shut-off... I know this, because I've done it before w/ my past bimmer. Hope that helps.... [/b][/quote]
You bounced off the rev limiter. Unfortunately, the rev limiter does not protect the engine in cases of a missed downshift , a.k.a. "the money shift."
__________________
Me - '98 M3/4 (manual)
Estoril on black Nappa, UUC clutch stop, de-baffled airbox, Pilot Sports

Wife - '04 Discovery II
ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 05:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b
 
e46330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Car:
Posts: 21
Photos:
e46330i is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by ARCHER+Nov 21 2003, 06:45 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ARCHER @ Nov 21 2003, 06:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by e46330i@Nov 21 2003, 05:07 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-fly325
Quote:
@Oct 24 2003, 10:29 PM
So the engine blew on my new 325Ci.* Less than half a year old.

The BMW dealership, and BMW Canada is telling me it's not
overed under warranty.* I told them I mis-shifted from 4th to
3rd (what an idiot I am), but I wasn't even going fast enough to
over-rev the damn car.* I asked for proof of wrong-doing, and
they told me they don't store that kinda stuff in the ECU for my
325 -- only M series vehicles.

Looks like my pistons are chipped, and some valves bent.

Can anyone give me advice?* Why else would this happen to my
engine aside from over-rev?* They're saying that's the only way.
I'm convinced I was sold a lemon.

The dealership isn't helping, and neither is BMW of Canada.

Is my only option to sue?

Wow... I can't believe it... I'm really sorry to hear that.
... and like Mr.M3 said, to be a lemon the same problem has to occur over period of time, which is occuring same problem (3x) and within 1 year. Also, I don't know if you're aware but even if you over-rev. (to redline RPM) the engine will automatically shut-off... I know this, because I've done it before w/ my past bimmer. Hope that helps....
You bounced off the rev limiter. Unfortunately, the rev limiter does not protect the engine in cases of a missed downshift , a.k.a. "the money shift." [/b][/quote]
I didn't know that.... thanks for the info., Archer....
e46330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 10:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
CBA
5th Gear Member
 
CBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: TORONTO, CANADA
Car:
Posts: 1,165
Photos:
CBA is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to CBA Send a message via Yahoo to CBA
take some advice from a former dealer mechanic..

go to the service manager put your best bad mood face out clear your throat and yell like a mofo till you turn blue.. they will goodwill it youll see. its worked for millions of people. and csi is very important to bmw.
__________________
all you ever need for the toronto night life <a href='http://www.spotlighttoronto.com' target='_blank'>click here</a>

<img src='http://www.spotlighttoronto.com/forum/templates/DigitalDementia/images/header.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' />



you know your not paying attention when this happens:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Are you refering to his Signature? oh shit, i just remembered i used my name in my sig... I just 0wn3ed myself. </div>
-Founder
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
H&R Cup on an E36 Convertible RJHD3 3-Series (E36) 7 10-19-2005 01:34 AM
745 I 2002 Lemon Law Stevenjkay Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk 5 04-03-2004 08:28 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.