BMW Settles Lawsuit, Will Repair 3-Series Cars with Subframe Damage - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Mr. Clean

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
(Thread Starter)
BMW Settles Lawsuit, Will Repair 3-Series Cars with Subframe Damage

I just found this and was wondering if anyone else had heard about it...

Click Here For Article

BMW Settles Lawsuit, Will Repair 3-Series Cars with Subframe Damage

Posted: Jun. 19, 2009 11:06 a.m.

BMW has settled a class-action lawsuit that alleged that an undisclosed subframe defect in 3-Series cars built between 1999 and 2006 was costing some owners thousands of dollars in repairs.

Motor Trend explains, "The suit originated in 2006 and claimed that defects in E46 3 Series models cause fractures in the rear-axle supports in the subframe. Symptoms include clunking from the rear and outright subframe failure." The company has not admitted that a defect exists, but has agreed to inspect and repair affected cars.

A website has been created to administer the repair program, located at e46subframeclassactionsettlement.com. The website explains, "If your vehicle is covered by the settlement, you will be able to participate in a National Sub-Frame Inspection and Repair Program. If you have already incurred out-of-pocket-expenses for sub-frame repairs, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement from BMW by submitting a claim form." Former owners or lessees who paid for subframe repairs on a car no longer in their possession may also be eligible. Visit the settlement website for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 01:11 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I got a letter in the mail about this a couple of weeks ago and didn't even bother to read it. I guess I should go open it now.

#3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:29 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
I've heard bits here and there about this issue. I guess it must be real enough... And it made me wonder about cars modded for extreme performance.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Festivus yes, bagels no..

yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
I got the same letter....I'm keeping it in case anything come up.

#5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Mr. Clean

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark View Post
I've heard bits here and there about this issue. I guess it must be real enough... And it made me wonder about cars modded for extreme performance.
This image shows the subframe damage of a HPF Stage 2 M3. Obviously, the reinforcement plates were not installed and this is what the power did to the underbody. Kind of nasty, isn't it?

However, when the reinforcement plates are welded in place the problem is taken care of because essentially it thickens the mounts to repair/prevent further damage from occurring.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:14 PM
n00b

fasaavedra4 is on a distinguished road
then.............. what are the symtoms of being affected by this Subframe issue ? when shifting the car makes cracking noise ?? or what exactly you can experience when someone has this issue on their E46 ?
#7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Mr. Clean

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)