BMW Werkz banner

Bmw Service Center Vs. Midas

9K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  zzzzzer 
#1 ·
Hello..

Time has come for an oil change in my car(100 Miles on OBC). BMW guys quoted $375 :p for an Oil change, checking Filters and other routine stuff;
Spoke with 'Midas' and they quoted $92 for an oil change.Pepboys stand at $55 :cheers .

Gurus, please let me know what type of oil(synthetic or ..) do i need to go for -->'01 325i??

Thanks-

#4 ·
Did your Service Center quote you for an Inspection I and not a oil change? Even through the dealer this is usually less than $100. If you do choose to do the change yourself make sure that they use a full synthetic that is approved by BMW, as not all synthetics are equal.
Ben

#6 ·
the dealers use full sythetic 5W30 "BMW oil" made by Castrol. that does eem a little high for just an oil service. you can request just eh oil and filter change and not the whole service. in the service they of course change the oil and filter, check brake pad thikness,top up the fluids, change the micro filter, reset the service lights, and stamp the service book. they will also check and adjust the tire pressure however that is not mandatory so there is no garauntee. if you just request the oil and filter change thast all you get. sometimes they will reset the service lights if there is one green light or less, but that is only becasue they assume that the customer would want it reset if they didn't.
if you decide not to use the dealer i'd still get a BMW oil filter and oil. but i think maybe they quoted you an inspection and not an oil service.

#7 ·
http://www.bmw325i.net/maint_oil_extractor.shtml

Instructions on doing the oil change with an oil extractor...great tool!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?threadid=8222

http://www.my330i.com/lof.php

RESETTING OIL SERVICE INDICATOR:

After Mid-2000: You should not have the 20-pin DLC connector. You only need to hold the left odometer reset button while turning the key to position 1 (Accessory). Keep holding the button for 5 or so seconds until any of the following shows in the display: OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE. Release the button and press it again for another 5 or so seconds until RESET or RE flash. While the display flashes, press the button one more time briefly. If done correctly, END SIA should show up for a few seconds. All done.

lots of info...very easy to change your own oil.
Invest in an Oil Extractor and do it yourself.
Remember everytime you take your car to the dealer they will find something...you are at their mercy!
They have no mercy if you noticed!
Good luck!

#8 ·
:goodness: $375?!? That HAS to include something else on top of a typical oil/filter change (especially with others quoting so much less). Just as a heads up I worked in the Parts Dept. of Pep Boys one summer and based on my personal opinion I wouldn't take my car there even for something as simple as changing the oil (although they're a great place for parts). Just my opinion, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.