BMW OEM Windshield Glass - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 01:01 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FrankieMyOne is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
BMW OEM Windshield Glass

I had my windshield replaced a few days ago, and I specifically asked the installer to order me OEM glass, and he said "no problem, whatever I wanted." So the glass is installed and I noticed that there are no BMW logos on the glass. Just a logo that says "FY," along with some part #'s that look familiar to what was on my old glass. I also noticed that there are air bubbles under the rain sensor, however the rain sensor does work. I was told that BMW factory glass has the rain sensor installed at the factory, and thus it's not glued on as it appears to be. Please help, I need to know for sure what kind of glass I have before I take action.

Oh, and they did not open the hood and remove the wiper cowl trim prior to installing - so as a result, they kind of cracked up the wiper cowl trim from jamming the window down and in, and it appears they did not use sealant on the bottom of the glass - do E46 windshields not get sealed no the bottom?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 01:16 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Sounds to me like you got the short end of the stick. Where are you located?

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 01:17 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3UOND
Sounds to me like you got the short end of the stick. Where are you located?
Southern NJ, just outside of Philadelphia, PA.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 01:47 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Hmm, well I dunno about any other shops in that area...but I would definitely complain. No bmw mark=not bmw glass.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 11:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Hootie is on a distinguished road
Have you taken your car to a dealership and asked the tech's if the glass meets their OEM specs? I bet the fellas over in West Chester (Otto's) would probably do that for free.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 11:54 AM
1st Gear Member

"do E46 windshields not get sealed no the bottom?"

Uhm, I would think the capillary action would be enough to suck water into your dash. Who the heck did you use for this job?
#7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Sounds like you got scammed. BMW OEM spec wndshield when installed by the dealer meets very specific requirements including measuring out the mm it is attached at the top and such.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 02:15 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Seems to me like a bad installation job of what sounds like an OEM part. I mean, they probably didn't get it from the dealership, but your rain sensor will NOT work unless you have the an OEM windshield.

What is the part number that appears on your current windshield?

#9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 06:19 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz
Seems to me like a bad installation job of what sounds like an OEM part. I mean, they probably didn't get it from the dealership, but your rain sensor will NOT work unless you have the an OEM windshield.

What is the part number that appears on your current windshield?
Indeed my rain sensor does work.

Here are the markings on the glass (all on the passenger side):

An "FY" logo which I found out is the company FUJIAN YANHUA based in China.

AS1 M848
DOT-459
FW2164
6....*

Is there any way to know for sure if this is OEM glass?
#10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Whoever installed the glass is required to provide you with documentation proving it meets spec. Ask for the specs, then take it to a BMW dealership and have them verify it.
#11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Neutral Member

TRuckee is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm sorry to hear about your concerns about your new glass... and, because I'm about to replace the windshield on my '00 323i, am responding. I just checked the windshield on my car, and on what I believe to be original an original part, see the BMW logo. I also see: Plinkington
43R-001047
AS 1 M 83 3 DOT25
I checked a local (Reno, NV) shop and was quoted $283, out the door, for "factory glass". This is a shop I've done business with in my "day job" and consider to be trustworthworthy... owner on-site everyday. TR
#12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 12:44 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
I answered in your other thread (not sure why there is 2 going here) but basically for the benefit of everyone here, Pilkington and PPG are the only 2 manufacturers that BMW uses for windshields to the best of my knowledge.
I have seen and worked with the FY glass before and it is not of the same quality. Furthermore most aftermarket installers do a very quick very sloppy job when installing a windshield on a BMW. They often use too much glue and they do not set the proper glass height which will result in excessive wind noise. Also they put the glue on the body of the car and they use a very quick drying glue which is not of the same quality as the glue in the factory kit. The factory installation requires putting the glue on the glass, Not the body of the car and then letting the glue cure overnight. This ensures good adhesion and a complete seal around the entire windshield. Also a aftermarket installer will not be able to initialize the rain sensor after installing the glass which is mandatory when replacing the glass so it is impossible for them to do the job correctly. Last but not least, on most (but not all) aftermarket windshields the rain sensor prism is not built in to the windshield. Often times I see that the installers will remove it from the old glass and glue it to the new aftermarket glass. This will work temporarily but ultimately it will fail.
Obviously the factory glass combined with dealer pricing for installation is considerably more than going aftermarket but you really do get what you pay for. If your insurance pays for windshield replacement push them for a factory installation if at all possible.

DT

#13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 12:18 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Sure enough, my rain sensor has failed. It worked for about the first week since installation. Well, what do you all recommend I do? I don't want to call the installer guy back and deal with him.
#14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 06:58 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
can you attach pics of the windhield and make sure to send 1 of the rain sensor area.
If it looks in the pics like the rain sensor was re-used then I can let you know. If that is the case then I recommend going back to whoever installed it and letting them know that they did not do a complete job because your rain sensor was not installed properly nor was it initialized.
I would try to get your money back from them or insist that they re-do the job using a OEM windshield and then sublet the car to the dealer to have the rain sensor initialized.
those would be the only 2 acceptable option IMO.

DT

#15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 02:43 PM
n00b

kbreese is on a distinguished road
This SAME THING just happened to me. I have a 2001 Corvette Z06, and Z06's have a special windshield which is like 6 lbs lighter than the regular Vette, and I told the girl specifically that I want a genuine GM Z06 windshield. I even wrote down everything it said it the corner of the windshield and read it to her. She said they would get the same one. So I just picked up the car and in the corner it has the PY logo and than says AS1 M848 and than something else. So not only is it not a Z06 windshield but not even a genuine Corvette Coupe windshield. It's a frikkin cheap Chinese knock-off! CLEARLY NOT WHAT I ASKED FOR!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?!? My Insurance company is Allstate and they recommended this place. I live on Long Island NY. The place is called One-Stop auto glass in medford, NY. The one good thing is the install looks good. Can't even tell it was replaced.

PS- I did a net search for that windshield which brought me to this thread, I hope no one minds i don't have a BMW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)