BMW Werkz banner

BMW - Engine Problem

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Dirty_Tool 
#1 · (Edited)
My 2002 3 series has recently starting cutting off as if i've stalled it - it then does not start but churns away - its as though i've ran out of petrol but the tank is usually half full - i've had a few people look at it but no one can figure it out, since by the time the mechanic arrives the car starts perfectly and i look really stupid for calling him out - Also nothing is showsing up on the diagnostics.

Has anyone had similar problems to this? Any advice would be very appreciated

thanks

#2 ·
Welcome to werkz, A_Jan. I moved your thread to the E46 section of the site, which is more often visited by people with the technical knowledge you seek.

Tell us more about this problem. This will help us when trying to diagnose your problem remotely.

Does it stall while you're sitting at idle? Does it doing while you are in motion?

Automatic or manual transmission? Diesel or gasoline engine? 4-cyl or 6-cyl?

Please tell us the car's service history as it regards fuel delivery and ignition.

Also please tell us what the different people who have looked at it have tested, and what they have determined so far.

Shooting in the dark, I say maybe a clogged fuel filter or a faulty fuel pump could be the culprit. In fact, it wouldn't hurt anything to replace both (unless you recently did this -- in that case, we must look somewhere else).

Best of luck.

#3 ·
thanks for your reply -
i've had a diagnostics performed y'day that came up with a faulty pressure control solnoid which no-one kknows what it is - i've been told also it could be an air mass sensor but with no1 100% sure wot it is, its gonna work out very expensive changing everything.
Its also began revving the engine sometimes when i'm stationary with the battery light coming on momentarily and then the car goes back to normal - I've not yet changed the fuel filer - you're right , it certainly won't do any hard changing it

#4 ·
I'm sure the dealer will know what the fault means. Perhaps the mechanics you are using do not have good quality software to be diagnosing your BMW. I cant offer much help because you didnt follow DRZ's advise and post more details. All I can say is that there are no codes in your car that are "unknown." It sounds like your mechanic just isnt up to date or his software is not up to date or both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.