Bmw Brake Works!! How Is Midas, Pepboys... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2005, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
BMWstealth is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

Hello ..

Recently i had Service Inpection- ll at the dealership and i was advised to change the rear Brake pads that has 1" thickness instead of 2" thickness that is usually recemmended.

But the cost of the work is $610 ( ) and wheel alignment is $300( n ). I live in southbay california.Wondering anyone of you in this forums could recommend me where i need to go for the brakepads that is done a bit cheap without compromising on the work performed.

Usually how much does it cost for the rear brakepads change and wheel alignment at other places ??

All responses and ideas appreciated!!
BMWstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2005, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2005 330xi
Photos:
325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
when you do brakes on a BMW it's not just the pads...you get rotors and the sensor gets replaced too...I would never suggest going to ANYPLACE aftermarket, aftermarket brakes tend to make noise and don't perform like BMW brakes...also for the alignment I would again suggest the dealership since the vehicle has to be loaded and more than likely BMW is going to be the only place with the proper loading equipment to properly align your BMW.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
2001BMW330iRob is an unknown quantity at this point
Changing the Rotors is BS.
Just buy the replacement pads at the stealership and go to a trusted garage that works on BMW's and have them switch the pads.
While your at it change the brake wear sensor, very cheap.
You do not need a wheel alignment.
$1000 at the dealership works out to $100 of actual work needed.
You are not driving a formula one car.
Look at all the pieces of crap on the road, don't be fooled into more work than necessary.
BMW dealerships will tell you that you must do all this extra work...total BS.
I changed the pads twice on the front and back rotors, and the rotors are still like new!
Good luck!
2001BMW330iRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
catalyst. is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to catalyst.
Unless the rotors are very worn, just replace the pads. For the money spent at the stealership you could buy performance pads.

I have heard great things about EBC greenstuff pads. I think theyre about 120 per axle for those pads.

When you go to the stealership they replace everything inculding rotors, which is unnecessary and a waste of YOUR money. Take it into a private bmw shop that has a good reputation, they will get you on track.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2005 330xi
Photos:
325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
How can you tell he dosn't need a wheel alignment? Have you seen the car? I doubt that you have, so I doubt that you are really the one to be judging 330iRob...
Old 04-06-2005, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
The Deuce is an unknown quantity at this point
Just buy a whole new car.
1964.5 Ford Mustang
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by 2001BMW330iRob@Apr 6 2005, 10:15 AM
Changing the Rotors is BS.
Just buy the replacement pads at the stealership and go to a trusted garage that works on BMW's and have them switch the pads.
While your at it change the brake wear sensor, very cheap.
You do not need a wheel alignment.
$1000 at the dealership works out to $100 of actual work needed.
You are not driving a formula one car.
Look at all the pieces of crap on the road, don't be fooled into more work than necessary.
BMW dealerships will tell you that you must do all this extra work...total BS.
I changed the pads twice on the front and back rotors, and the rotors are still like new!
Good luck!

[snapback]326730[/snapback]
Rob,
I dont know where you get off making suggestions like this. You have never even seen his car nor have you been given any brake specs or alignment specs. therefore you couldnt possibly pass judgement as to what BMWstealth "needs" or doesnt need. The bottom line is that brakes are a safety issue, they stop the car. If the rotors are worn below the minimum wear spec then they need to be replaced. If they are not replaced then it compromises the safety of the driver and any passengers along with other drivers on the road. Your suggestions are idiotic and have no basis.
You also state that he doesnt need an alignment. Please explain to me how the hell you would know if he needs an alignment or not? For all you know his wheels could be pointing in opposite directions! You have never seen the car or worked on it. I just dont see how you can make these foolish suggestions and statements about a car which you obviously know nothing about. If you want to half-ass your own car and compromise the safety of yourself and your family then that is your own business but I really dont think you should suggest that other people do the same.

DT

Dirty_Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
What I am suggesting is for maintenance items..."do not go to the dealer"!
Dealerships have MASSIVE overhead and they have to overcharge to stay in business.
If you're a fool and go along with everything they say you will get taken to the cleaners...END OF STORY.
I will give you an example.
When I bought my car...2001 BMW 330i, 60K miles, last summer.
The previous owner had the car certified at the dealership.
It should have cost $50, as the car was mint.
The bill came to $4000.00
They replaced the front windshield...because there was a chip $1200.00
They replaced all 5 tires...because they needed to be...LOL $1200.00
(The brand new spare in the trunk too)
They replaced the rear springs...because they were cracked $800.00
They replaced the drive belts...$200
Changed a sensor in the engine...$600
I was not complaining as they did all this work, the guy was not complaining as his company picked up the tab.
But you have to laugh, if he went to a good mechanic, half of that stuff would not have been changed.
Find a good mechanic who specializes in European cars.
90% of the time the BMW stealership will try to do as much work as possible as they assume BMW owners have the money and BMW dealerships need it to stay afloat!
Not saying to not get the car checked out, He said he still has 1" thickness in the pad....don't know about you but that tells me the rotors are still good. Unless they are warped...or defective.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by 2001BMW330iRob@Apr 6 2005, 11:43 AM
What I am suggesting is for maintenance items..."do not go to the dealer"!
Dealerships have MASSIVE overhead and they have to overcharge to stay in business.
If you're a fool and go along with everything they say you will get taken to the cleaners...END OF STORY.
I will give you an example.
When I bought my car...2001 BMW 330i, 60K miles, last summer.
The previous owner had the car certified at the dealership.
It should have cost $50, as the car was mint.
The bill came to $4000.00
They replaced the front windshield...because there was a chip $1200.00
They replaced all 5 tires...because they needed to be...LOL* $1200.00
(The brand new spare in the trunk too)
They replaced the rear springs...because they were cracked $800.00
They replaced the drive belts...$200
Changed a sensor in the engine...$600
I was not complaining as they did all this work, the guy was not complaining as his company picked up the tab.
But you have to laugh, if he went to a good mechanic, half of that stuff would not have been changed.
Find a good mechanic who specializes in European cars.
90% of the time the BMW stealership will try to do as much work as possible as they assume BMW owners have the money and BMW dealerships need it to stay afloat!
Not saying to not get the car checked out, He said he still has 1" thickness in the pad....don't know about you but that tells me the rotors are still good.* Unless they are warped...or defective.
[snapback]326824[/snapback]
Well, the requirements to certify a car are extremely stringent and I dont see this as being a fair comparison. The bottom line is that the Dealership or even any independent mechanic or shop is going to make suggestions as to the problems that they see on the car. Nobody is twisting your arm to replace everything that is broken. If your windshield is cracked do you think it is wrong for the dealership to recommend replacing it? If the drive belts are cracked do you think it is wrong for the dealership to recommend new ones?
Im not going to argue with you that the Dealer is expensive because it is. But it is always up to the consumer to use their own common sense as to what they have done and where to do it. The dealer does have its advantages as well.
As far as you were saying about the 1 inch neasurement on the brake pads, this is impossible. The brake pads are less than 1 inch when brand new. I assumed he meant that there was 1mm left instead of 1 inch. Regardless of what the pads measure they have absolutely nothing to do with what the rotors measure. Bottom line is this... Measure the rotors, if they are below minimum safety specs then replace them. The minimum safety rating is there for a reason.
Rob, you seem to have really poor views of the dealer and it seems as though you dont trust them or possibly think that they are dishonest. I respect your views but at the same time I think you should let BMWstealth and others form their own views. Instead of barking out "you dont need this" or "you dont need that" I think it is wiser to just offer simple non-biased fact based advise.
Now on that note here is my non-biased fact based advise to BMWstealth:
1) If the prices at the dealer seem high for the brakes then take everything into consideration. The 1st thing to consider is factory parts vs non-factory parts. the BMW factory brake pads are a very soft and quiet pad. No aftermarket pad will perform the same nor will it be as quiet. If the rotors are below minimum spec they should be replaced. If they are close to minimum spec but have an uneven wear pattern they should be replaced because BMW does not recommend turning rotors.
If you decide to go with an aftermarket brake setuo then there is nothing wrong or unsafe about that and it will be cheaper however you most likely will experience unpleasant noises and they wil not "feel" or perform the same as BMW factory brakes.
2) Concerning the alignment the main thing to consider is that BMW requires the vehice to be weighted down when performing the alignment. This puts the car at a certain ride height and it is this ride height that the specs were created. Now BMW Dealers have sandbags for weighing the car down and are aware of the preliminary requirements for the alignment. Many aftermarket shops or alignment shops are unaware of this and do the alignment unweighted. This is completely wrong and the alignment comes out incorrect. Now if you can find a shop that is aware of the "special" BMW alignment procedure and has the means to do it correctly AND will charge you less then that is great. I say go for it. However what you may find is that the shops that do have the correct equipment and knowledge are most likely going to be in the same price range as the dealer.
Now hopefully this information can help you to make an educated decision as to how to have the car serviced and whether you do it at the dealer, an independent shop ur just do it yourself hopefully at least it will help to to make a wise decision and get the car fixed right so that it keeps going for you for several miles.
Good luck,
DT

Old 04-06-2005, 03:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
I agree with everything stated above.
However the windshield didn't have a crack.
There was a small chip, it could have been fixed.
They did a terrible job on replacing the windshield on top of overcharging by about $600.
They got that sealant on the inside of the winshield where it meets the a pilar, then cut it out with an razor blade and it looks like crap!
Old 04-06-2005, 04:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
There is no excuse for shoddy work and its too bad that when they charged top dollar they did a lousy job. I agree that's BS.

As far as the chip goes i mentioned that BMW has very stringent standards on their CPO cars. I dont blame the dealer for replacing as they are only going by the guidelines that BMW set forth under the CPO plan. Had it been an ordinary situation I would hope that the dealer would have recommended the obviously cheaper and more sensible repair which would be to have a mobile repair guy "fill" the chip. The flip side of all this is when somebody purchases a CPO BMW and believes that they bought a "like new" BMW car only to find that serveral things do not meet BMW standards. This is why the dealerships who do the job right go over the car with a fine toothed comb and ensure the car is in top-notch shape.
In your specific situation I really cannot say whether they did the "right" thing or not since i wasnt there, i didnt see the chip etc.
Anyway this is gettin way off topic anyway, the main thing was to hopefully help BMWstealth get some good informative info on what to do with his car and I think we have given him some.
Cheers Rob,
DT

Old 04-06-2005, 06:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
BMWstealth is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks to DT for his/her detailed reponse to my query and also to Rob330i for his/her views on BMW 'stealerships'.
BMWstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 10:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
h_curtis is an unknown quantity at this point
I must say there is some VERY poor information on here regarding brakes! I usually do my own work on my cars and restored a few. Maybe you did just replace your pads and all worked out. Good for you. NEVER tell people to just replace the pads. There are safe specs for rotors and if they get too thin you will be in serious trouble. THIS IS A FACT! You need to take a measurement of the rotors to see if they are safe to drive on. Don't mess around with you brakes. You may not need them, but the person that replaced pads twice on his car and didn't do anything with rotors is risking his life for sure. Hey, it is only your brakes right? lol What a joke. I have change tons of brakes with a friend at his garage and I have never seen anyone go two sets of pads and not change rotors. That is downright stupid! Brakes on new cars are not like the cars of the 70's and back further. Things have changed. Rotors wear out faster and pads are harder. Very poor information on here by some people. I am not kidding with this.

Curt
h_curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 10:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
h_curtis is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by BMWstealth@Apr 6 2005, 01:00 PM
Hello ..

Recently i had Service Inpection- ll at the dealership and i was advised to change the rear Brake pads that has 1" thickness instead of 2" thickness that is usually recemmended.

But the cost of the work is $610 ( ) and wheel alignment is $300( n ). I live in southbay california.Wondering anyone of you in this forums could recommend me where i need to go for the brakepads that is done a bit cheap without compromising on the work performed.

Usually how much does it cost for the rear brakepads change and wheel alignment at other places ??

[snapback]326710[/snapback]
OUCH. Those prices are out of line IMHO. $610 for just rears???? Are they kidding? Call another dealer and then ask around to find a good garage. Ask people that you know that are particular about things or have nice cars. Brake jobs are really easy to be honest. I would tell them to stick it if they said $610 for just rears. I would tell them no if they said $610 for brakes and rotors all around. I just changed my Jeeps myself and I cost less than $100 for 4 rotors, and pads. I would pay $500 for the BMW for the whole thing and that is that.

If you find a good garage, you can ask them to get the parts from BMW. You know OEM. It will cost more, but brakes are cake. Get some quotes.

Curt
h_curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 01:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
jeremer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by h_curtis+Apr 6 2005, 10:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(h_curtis @ Apr 6 2005, 10:49 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-BMWstealth@Apr 6 2005, 01:00 PM
Hello ..

But the cost of the work is* $610 ( ) and wheel alignment is $300( n ). I live in southbay california.Wondering anyone of you in this forums could recommend me where i need to go for the brakepads that is done a bit cheap without compromising on the work performed.

[snapback]326710[/snapback]
OUCH. Those prices are out of line IMHO. $610 for just rears???? Are they kidding? Call another dealer and then ask around to find a good garage. Ask people that you know that are particular about things or have nice cars. Brake jobs are really easy to be honest. I would tell them to stick it if they said $610 for just rears. I would tell them no if they said $610 for brakes and rotors all around. I just changed my Jeeps myself and I cost less than $100 for 4 rotors, and pads. I would pay $500 for the BMW for the whole thing and that is that.

If you find a good garage, you can ask them to get the parts from BMW. You know OEM. It will cost more, but brakes are cake. Get some quotes.

Curt
[snapback]327241[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
Tell me about it. I had the rear brake done at "stealership" for $650. A month later the brakes make noise every time I come to a almost complete stop. I took them to the "stealership" and they told me they are within specs, the noise happens to new car too, and there is nothing they can do about it. WTF?

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)