BMW 330d Turbo Failure - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 03:17 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
heliraptor is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
BMW 330d Turbo Failure

Hi,

Just a quickie really to pass on what happened to me last week.

Have a 51 plate 330d SE with the tiptronic gearbox with 57k on the clock, and full main dealer service history.

Had no problems at all with it until last week when on a short trip to the garage for diesel, literally within 1/2 a mile of my house, on the return journey I could hear a slight screeching as I accelerated, remember this is within a short distance of where I live, and all ina 30mph limit. Got home, left it ticking over and nothing, a slight rev brought the screech, not too much, just noticeable.

Didn't have a clue what it was, no discernable loss of power, drove okay, not the belts so I booked it in at the local dealer. I didn't drive it at all since the short return journey from the garage.

Anyway, next morning the other half drove it to the dealership, again within 2 miles of my house and again in a 30mph limit. Halfway there, all hell broke loose, well not quite, she phoned me in a panic saying she couldn't see due to the smoke, people were flagging her down so she pulls over and literally got immersed in a thick cloud of smoke.

I phoned the dealership who sent someone down to her, they drove it to the garage and called me later with he outcome.

Well, a quote of 4036 to repair the damage didn't settle too well as you can imagine. Turbo failure, dumping the remaining engine oil through the exhaust system and out onto the road, leaving only a small amount in there.

Before this there have been no signs at all of any problems, no increased noise over time, good power, no smoking, and no excessive oil use. It seems to have gone within a couple of miles of driving.

A moan to BMW UK resulted in them offering me 50% price off of the parts reducing the bill down to 2500. Another moan through the dealership brought it down to 1800 and finally the best they could do was 1600 inc vat, plus the usual 2yr warranty. When you take into account the Turbo is 1100 on its own, and the two cats come to about 900 thats a pretty good reduction. But still, I'm p*ssed off as you can imagine.

Anyway, just to log this on the forums really, sh*t happens I guess, but it pays to moan to both the dealership and BMW UK seperately, as long as you have a full dealer history, and on this occasion, fairly low mileage.

When they were asked if this was acceptable to fail in this way, their answer being very reserved and cautious was "I don't know".

Pick it up in the morning so we'll see how it all went. I was going to sell it, but I may as well keep it now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 03:56 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
What year is your 330d, and when you say 57K do you mean miles or kms?

Was it not still under warranty?

Sorry to hear about your troubles, mate...

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 04:51 PM
n00b

heliraptor is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi

2002 51 plate in the UK.

And that was 57,000 miles.

Out of warranty, didn't choose to extend it due to the price of it and I couldn't forsee any major problems really ! I'll know better next time hey.

Lee
#4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

320de46m47 is on a distinguished road
make them pay its called "goodwill"
countless cases before you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)