Bluetooth for 2004 330CiC - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2004, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
r1man is an unknown quantity at this point
HI all, new to this Forum, been reading it for a while now and love the info. I am ordering a 2004 Ci Convertible this week. Does anyone know if when I have the car built I can have the blue tooth cell phone kit installed at the factory or is it an aftermarket thing ?????
r1man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2004, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
The dealer is telling me that the bluetooth module is not compatible with the BMW assist which comes prepaid for 1 year. Anyone know about this ??
Old 02-26-2004, 11:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
fernande-bmwforum is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh boy, this is a topic close to home.

The Bluetooth option can only be installed at the factory in European models. For US models, it is a dealer-installed option.

Unfortunately, the 2004 models that come with the premium package also come with BMW Assist which uses part of the cabling for a wireless phone to connect to the SOS service (ala OnStar). Hence, Bluetooth cannot be installed in the car if BMW Assist is installed.

There is a way to disconnect the antenna and a module in the truck to disable BMW Assist and install the Bluetooth hardware. However, I haven't received any favorable answer froma a dealer who is willing to do the work. There is a web site with instructions to do this, if you buy the kit (around $550). it looks relatively simpe, but I have never done any work on my BMW, so I would not know how to do it.

As far as I know, the 2005 models (September production) will have the ability to have both BMW Assist and Bluetooth installed. However, I have not heard if BMW will offer a retrofi kit for earlier models.

So far, I am pretty pissed at BMW for this. I want to get Bluetooth, but BMW Assist is making my life very complicated. I cannot believe at how poorly the equipment design is in BMW cars. Excellent engine, handling, looks, etc. However, very poor equipment options and design in general.

I am going tomorrow to an auto show. I hope to find more information about this there.
fernande-bmwforum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 03:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
excellent info. Thanks so much. I dug around on the net and confirmed what u just said and seems like my only option is to order the car without BMW assist. A shame but in reality I have really no need for the BMW assist, BT seems like an excellent option. Curious, did u find that the 2005 models will have BT installed at the factory ? I hate the thought of ordering a brand new car and then having the dealer rip open the inside of the car to get at the wiring.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
hlacoss is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for this information, all. I actually HAD BMW Assist and had no idea that Bluetooth disabled it! But, sure enough, I just tried it and it doesn't work. I've never used it anyway, so I'm not too concerned, really.

I would have thought my dealer would have made this clear. used
hlacoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 10:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
fernande-bmwforum is an unknown quantity at this point
I have not heard anything about how BT will be provided for 2005 models. I would think this will be a factory-installed option. Especially because this is already a factory-installed option for European models but not for American models because of the BMW Assist. So, I don't think it would be too difficult to get the option installed at the factory for the 2005 American models (once they figure out how to have both of them working in parallel, which to me does not look like rocket science).

I talked to the Performance Center in SC (for the special delivery option) and the guy said that, although they install accesories, they do not do the BT installation because they would have to sign a waiver. He mentioned that they'd rather have waiver and installation handled by the dealer. He also mentioned that he had heard that the BT + BMW Assist kit could be available by the end of the Summer, but he was not 100% sure because BMW is not the best at keeping schedule promises.

Overall, I believe the best choice is to enjoy the 1 free year of BMW Assist service and get the BT option installed after that. Either BMW will have a kit that allows both BMW Assist and BT co-exist, or I will just cancel the BMW Assist service, disable it, and install the BT option.
fernande-bmwforum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
paraglider is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by fernande-bmwforum@Mar 15 2004, 10:13 PM
I have not heard anything about how BT will be provided for 2005 models. I would think this will be a factory-installed option. Especially because this is already a factory-installed option for European models but not for American models because of the BMW Assist. So, I don't think it would be too difficult to get the option installed at the factory for the 2005 American models (once they figure out how to have both of them working in parallel, which to me does not look like rocket science).

I talked to the Performance Center in SC (for the special delivery option) and the guy said that, although they install accesories, they do not do the BT installation because they would have to sign a waiver. He mentioned that they'd rather have waiver and installation handled by the dealer. He also mentioned that he had heard that the BT + BMW Assist kit could be available by the end of the Summer, but he was not 100% sure because BMW is not the best at keeping schedule promises.

Overall, I believe the best choice is to enjoy the 1 free year of BMW Assist service and get the BT option installed after that. Either BMW will have a kit that allows both BMW Assist and BT co-exist, or I will just cancel the BMW Assist service, disable it, and install the BT option.
[snapback]92475[/snapback]
paraglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
paraglider is an unknown quantity at this point
Just purchased a 2005 330 cic. It has BMW Assist (didn't want it - dealer always orders it, but then you know that from all the other threads), but also is wired for bluetooth.

Pressing the phone button on the steering wheel brings up the ACTIVATE PHONE message on the radio display - but I can't seem to figure out how to do this. Anyone know?
paraglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 10:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jkaufmann is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by paraglider@Nov 20 2004, 12:29 PM
Just purchased a 2005 330 cic. It has BMW Assist (didn't want it - dealer always orders it, but then you know that from all the other threads), but also is wired for bluetooth.

Pressing the phone button on the steering wheel brings up the ACTIVATE PHONE message on the radio display - but I can't seem to figure out how to do this. Anyone know?
[snapback]234330[/snapback]
When you say the phone button, do you mean the large R/T button or the smaller button with the talking man on it? while we are on the topic of the R/T button, is this button suppose to switch the radio to the cd and back?

Thanks,
jkaufmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)