Blinker Problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 01:22 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alekm is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I noticed this morning that the right blinker was on ( no blinking just constantly light on like when you forget your lights ON and you turn your car off) even thou my car was shut off.

I started the car and the right blinker kept blinking even thou the blinker control was in neutral. The only way I could turn the right blinker off is by turning the left blinker on. So right blinker is on in neutral or when turned on and off when I turn the left blinker on.

Help, any idea what is wrong with this thing? How difficult is the problem, could I fix it or will I have to go to the dealership?

This is a 99 323i.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 01:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
it seems like the switch in the steering column went wacko. there are little sliding metal pieces that make contact, and they likely broke.

i do not know how to fix this given the airbag in the steering wheel. this used to be very simple on old cars....
#3 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 01:45 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by peterkulesza@Jan 9 2005, 01:34 PM
it seems like the switch in the steering column went wacko. there are little sliding metal pieces that make contact, and they likely broke.

i do not know how to fix this given the airbag in the steering wheel. this used to be very simple on old cars....
[snapback]267416[/snapback]

I was thnking it may be an electrical problem. I am worried it will drain my battery. Could I turn the blinkers off altogether by a fuse?
#4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 02:09 PM
3rd Gear Member

peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
likely yes, but a single light in the blinker (21 watts i think) should not drain your battery for days, if not weeks if you drive the car daily.

it could be electrical (leaking ground somewhere), but the car is probably too new, these problems are corrosion related.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 02:32 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by peterkulesza@Jan 9 2005, 02:09 PM
likely yes, but a single light in the blinker (21 watts i think) should not drain your battery for days, if not weeks if you drive the car daily.

it could be electrical (leaking ground somewhere), but the car is probably too new, these problems are corrosion related.
[snapback]267441[/snapback]
From what it looke like it is the turn light switch that needs to be replaced. Anybody had experience changing this switch?
#6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 12:36 AM
n00b

Superfry is an unknown quantity at this point
[/quote]
From what it looke like it is the turn light switch that needs to be replaced. Anybody had experience changing this switch?
[snapback]267454[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, I would second that the signal switch in the column needs replacing. Not sure how to do this, but I did want to point out that having the parking light stay on when the car is switched off is normal if you have that blinker switched on. It is a feature (apparently for the narrow streets of Europe). You can park the car and turn it off, then switch the blinker on to identify the side of the car when it's parked (just front and rear parking lights on one side come on). It will do the same with the left signal. I have actually used the feature once while parked on a very dark street.
So if for whatever reason the blinker thinks it is switced on, that feature will activate while the car is parked.

This feature is pointed out in the e46 tips and tricks post.

good luck,
Tony
#7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 07:20 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfry,Jan 11 2005, 12:36 AM
[snapback]267454[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, I would second that the signal switch in the column needs replacing. Not sure how to do this, but I did want to point out that having the parking light stay on when the car is switched off is normal if you have that blinker switched on. It is a feature (apparently for the narrow streets of Europe). You can park the car and turn it off, then switch the blinker on to identify the side of the car when it's parked (just front and rear parking lights on one side come on). It will do the same with the left signal. I have actually used the feature once while parked on a very dark street.
So if for whatever reason the blinker thinks it is switced on, that feature will activate while the car is parked.

This feature is pointed out in the e46 tips and tricks post.

good luck,
Tony
[snapback]268706[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, anybody know the location of the flashers relay on the E46? Could it be a relay instead of the signal switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)