BMW Werkz banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The best engine oil?

14K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  sarekli 
#1 ·
Guys, which engine oil do you think would be the best to be used on a M54 engine? :rolleyes:

1. Mobil 1 0W-40
2. Motul 300V POWER 5W-40
3. Motul 300V POWER RACING 5W-30
4. Motul Specific LL-01 0W-30
5. Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40
6. Castrol EDGE 0W-30

any comment?? :D

#6 ·
zibby said:
I would go with a Hellix Ultra 5w/40-my first pick(very, very good oil) or Motul 5w/40.For sure I would not use any oil with "0" weight in hot. humid climate of Hong Kong.
Just my opinion as a chemist and ex-petroleum industry engeener.
I am using Helix Ultra at the moment, i have used Mobil 1 before,
and Helix Ultra is working better on my car, thanks for your comment,
100% agree Helix Ultra is good, but I think I am going to try Motul 300V 5W40 this time,
at least for once ;)

#7 · (Edited)
zibby said:
I would go with a Hellix Ultra 5w/40-my first pick(very, very good oil) or Motul 5w/40.For sure I would not use any oil with "0" weight in hot. humid climate of Hong Kong.
Just my opinion as a chemist and ex-petroleum industry engeener.
do you think Motul 300V 5W30 will be better than 5W40 to use in a 323ci with only 30000 Km on the meter,
under the climate conditions in HK with the heavy traffic problem? :confused:

#8 · (Edited)
Personally I am not in favour of using any 5W/30 oils in BMW engines, because of low viscosity index at 40 and 100*C(too thin) and mostly these oils do not meet BMW specification >3.5 cp for high temperature high shear strenght, better stick to 5W/40 oils (you are not in Minesota or Canada) Ha, Ha .Ha....
BTW 5w/30 oils are good for some 7 series and 3 series equipped in "valvetronic" valve system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.