Best Brake/Rotor Combo? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 2004 BMW 325ci
Photos:
collinsjaredl325ci is on a distinguished road
Question Best Brake/Rotor Combo?

I need to replace the brakes and rotors on my 2004 BMW 325ci coupe, as I have little experience purchasing these products I was wondering what combinations you all have found to work the best and where I might get the best deal for them.

Thanks in advance for the help.
collinsjaredl325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Dizzyvin is on a distinguished road
Hey ive got the exact car with 86,000 miles now on her, sorry i dont have an answer for you because i havent done mine yet but let me know what you do and how it works out for ya. Im curious too cause mine are gonna need replacing also. How do you like your car?
Dizzyvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 2004 BMW 325ci
Photos:
collinsjaredl325ci is on a distinguished road
My Car

I love it, right at 70k miles and need to get ready to replace them soon. Usually brakes last about 60k miles so I don't mind dropping a little change on these new ones.
collinsjaredl325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I know its only a 325ci, but to me its like drivn an M3, i love it. I came from an 2004 maxima into this. Ill never go back!!! lol...I bought her with 42k and now shes got 86k on her. Just nervous somethings gonna go wrong. Im having a lock problem which is the only problem im expeiriencing, sometimes when the door is closed the dashboard vehicle analysis still thinks the door is open, hence, factory alarm going off at night, interior dome light comes on. Its a Pain, but its the 1st problem im having with her, im thinking its the door latch, gonna do some further research tho. Well goodluck with your whip bro, let me know what setup you decide to go with on your pads and rotors. Depending how it works out for you, i might just use the same setup!
Old 03-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
A NEW DAY RISES...

Car: 2008 M5, 2011 X5
Photos:
RoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
Silly kids - there is only one name in premium auto braking - BREMBO. If you can't afford a big brake kit, buy rotors and some of the less expensive stuff, but that is your answer. I have 4 piston Brembo big brake kit on my Z3 and 6 piston Brembo Gran Turismos on my E46 M3. You won't be disappointed. Good luck.

2008 ///M5 with Eisenmann race exhaust "Athena"
2013 VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 2L Turbo
RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
RIP 2002 Z3 Roadster 2.5i - VF Supercharged, 5-speed, Brembos etc.
Turkey ///M Car Fleet Commander
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
RoadsterMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
You don't need a big brake kit on a stock 325Ci. Get solid rotors: unless you're tracking the car, drilled or slotted rotors are pretty much worthless for us common folk running stock. I usually get the rotors from Brembo (Zimmerman is also good), and you can get good pads from Pagid, Mintex, or Akebono. Stay away from Ate pads -- they create a lot of dust.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
A NEW DAY RISES...

Photos:
RoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
Agree completely if that was not clear in my prior post. Get the Brembo rotors (not too expensive) and I'd recommend the Pagid pads or Mintex. Don't know hat kid of wheels you have, but front brakes do the bulk of the stopping so watch those carefully and don't let the brake dust build up too bad before you clean it as it can damage the rims. BREMBO.

RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Old 03-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
^^ I just don't want the n00bs to break the bank trying to keep up with you...
Old 03-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
A NEW DAY RISES...

Photos:
LMAO. Like I said - CAR WHORE - I try and live (as far as my wife and mortgage allow) to do things the right/best way the first time. They don't need Brembo big brake kits for stock 325ci's, and it is nice that they can buy great quality rotors and pads, inludong Brembos, for a nice low price.

Now folks, about making your cars faster and more powerful...let's talk...

TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Old 03-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Photos:
Oh, yeah. I forgot about vendors to recommend: fcpgroton.com (our sponsor), pelicanparts.com, autohausaz.com, bavauto.com.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Thanks gentlemen for all the advice, my 325ci certainly isnt no racecar, but i love her and its the best car ive eva driven for the money, M3 is deff no joke, if i think my car handles and performs well, i could only imagine how an M3 performs. As for the brakes i think im just going to buy some blank rotors and hawk pads. Did a little bit of research and that'll be sufficient. However i am curious about what you guys mentioned bout making my car faster? Is that possible in a 325CI? If so, what should i look into? turbo maybe? Can it be fitted with one? is it worth it? Please if you gentlemen have some time answer this. Im highly interested. Thankyou in advance!
Old 03-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Photos:
Supercharger kits are available. Is it worth it? It depends on how much you value spirited driving. If you do go with forced induction, I would recommend that you upgrade to bigger brakes.

Good luck!
Old 03-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
A NEW DAY RISES...

Photos:
Oh boy Daniel - NOW I've done it...

ok - very quickly as I'm short on time. A turbo is usually VERY expensive, and BMW's usually are more supercharger friendly. Even a SC will cost at least 5K just for the kit, then you need install, upgrade brakes and suspension, on and on and this gets pricey and time consuming - especially for a car with 86K miles on it. I'd suggest a shark injector, bigger manifold, a nice performance chip and cold air intake as starting points. Take a look at the beautiful mods JohnnyBayonne has done to his E36 - a true transformation and labor of love. FYI I spent almost $20K on supercharging my Z3. A long list of stuff. There are plenty of smaller things you can do. Check this forum or some of the vendors listed by dr Z above for some more ideas. Good luck!

TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Old 03-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Thanks for all the useful info i appreciate it all. Do you guys think an air intake will make a lil difference? Im trying to take out my cousins 2001 lexus IS300...lol, His lex has 214HP mine 184, we havent raced yet. Just looking to shock him.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Festivus yes, bagels no..

Car: '01 330i
Photos:
yammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
You guys liked Pagid? I had those on the e30 and I've NEVER had a louder, dustier brake pad....maybe I'm just remembering it worse than it was.

Also, Do you guys ever get your rotos turned instead of buying new ones?

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)