Before I Buy My First Bmw...newb Quest - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 03:55 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tariusdragon is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I am about to purchase a 2001-2003 325ci or 330ci from the dealer auction, but I have a couple loaded questions.
I love power and plan on doing performance and cosmetic upgrades but I sort of want the best of all the worlds. Looks, power, gas mileage, handling (close to impossible). I don't mind spending money to do it right the FIRST time.

Is there a difference in model years/packages? Is there alot to gain by getting a newer year?(bugs worked out or small features)

Is the 330 motor or features worth the extra $?

I will never be attending track days or racing. I just love the ride and style the 93 325i my girlfriend has!

What $ should I be considering (mods) to get this done right on which car?

Thank you in advance for your time and knowledge!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 07:00 PM
2nd Gear Member

white 330ci is an unknown quantity at this point
i think the 330 is worth the extra money, its not that much more.
i'm pretty sure that the 330 even gets better gas mileage

the years of cars car almost exactly the same...
a few new options
some people said the steering on the 2001 was too "light", but that was fixed in 2002
i have a 2001 and hae no problems with steering being "light".
#3 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 12:05 PM
1st Gear Member

rsn48 is an unknown quantity at this point
What I bought and why: Rather than tell you what to buy, its safer to say what I bought and why. First, I like power but I don't need to be the fastest guy in the neighbourhood; I just want to know that their is ample ponies under the hood to be there when I need them, and a few more to raise the blood pressure a bit. So I bought the 330.

I was also thinking about traction. The more I thought about it, the more it made sense to me that all wheel drive is the wave of the future. I'm sure if you talked to the Subaru guys, they'd say that's old news. But if you meditate on it (while your boss is talking and boring the pants off of you), you'll probably come to the same agreement. I mean most animals on this planet are 4 wheel drive, not two wheel drive - seems to work for them. And if you are an animal and lose the use of one appendage temporarily or permanently, you have three more to brace you - same with 4 wheel drive - especially BMW's X drive. So I bought the "X" drive. Drove it in the snow with only all season tires on the car two nights ago at the top of Mount Seymour while it was snowing out, what a hoot - I'm not even sure you need snows on the X.

I also bought about two months ago a used 528i. Now if you haven't experienced all the whistles and bells and toys that BMW has to offer on its cars - well, trust me, you want to. I want and enjoy the heated seats, the auto heat, the rain sensor, auto lights, the passenger mirror tilt to let me know where the curb is, the better stereo system, etc. So I bought a 2002 Bimmer so that I could afford all the toys I wanted.

For me, it is more important to purchase the ride you want first, equipped with all the goodies you want, rather than buying a car that is the latest model year. So in the end, I purchased a 2002 330xi with 16,200 Kilometres (10,044 miles) on it from Brian Jessel BMW in Vancouver BC. Since it was a demo car and low K's on it, the car came with an extended "certified" warranty program which I appreciated.

I think you will be happy with the 330 power, but if power is important to you, get the 330 as your starting point of modifications.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 07:11 PM
n00b

j donald hunt is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by rsn48@Oct 27 2004, 10:05 AM
What I bought and why: Rather than tell you what to buy, its safer to say what I bought and why. First, I like power but I don't need to be the fastest guy in the neighbourhood; I just want to know that their is ample ponies under the hood to be there when I need them, and a few more to raise the blood pressure a bit. So I bought the 330.

I was also thinking about traction. The more I thought about it, the more it made sense to me that all wheel drive is the wave of the future. I'm sure if you talked to the Subaru guys, they'd say that's old news. But if you meditate on it (while your boss is talking and boring the pants off of you), you'll probably come to the same agreement. I mean most animals on this planet are 4 wheel drive, not two wheel drive - seems to work for them. And if you are an animal and lose the use of one appendage temporarily or permanently, you have three more to brace you - same with 4 wheel drive - especially BMW's X drive. So I bought the "X" drive. Drove it in the snow with only all season tires on the car two nights ago at the top of Mount Seymour while it was snowing out, what a hoot - I'm not even sure you need snows on the X.

I also bought about two months ago a used 528i. Now if you haven't experienced all the whistles and bells and toys that BMW has to offer on its cars - well, trust me, you want to. I want and enjoy the heated seats, the auto heat, the rain sensor, auto lights, the passenger mirror tilt to let me know where the curb is, the better stereo system, etc. So I bought a 2002 Bimmer so that I could afford all the toys I wanted.

For me, it is more important to purchase the ride you want first, equipped with all the goodies you want, rather than buying a car that is the latest model year. So in the end, I purchased a 2002 330xi with 16,200 Kilometres (10,044 miles) on it from Brian Jessel BMW in Vancouver BC. Since it was a demo car and low K's on it, the car came with an extended "certified" warranty program which I appreciated.

I think you will be happy with the 330 power, but if power is important to you, get the 330 as your starting point of modifications.
[snapback]219433[/snapback]
I have owned a 330xi for the past 3 months. 12,000 kilometers and it is a hoot. It is a 2001 so has a 5 speed not 6. I have driven a friends 330 i with a 6 speed and the sports package. There is a difference in power. the sport packages give 10 hp and the car is probably 80 to 100 kg lighter. HP is fun. Also spend lots of time with a 540i 6 speed. The power is significantly better but the smaller 3 series I find more fun.

With out a doubt get the 330 over than 325.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)