battery replacement - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
exjarhead328 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
battery replacement

Bought a replacement battery after work. I didn't have time to change it but took a look at the job. I removed the 2 screws/snaps but couldn't remove the cover. Didn't have time to f**k with it and did not want to force it, but is it just a matter of playing with the cover 'til it comes off? Also, does the hose vent to the outside from below? I searched but couldn't find a decent, clear-cut DIY for a battery install on a e46 sedan. I humbly await assistance from my fellow enthusiasts. Oh yea, did I mention there was free BEER!

SEMPER FI 2/3 Comm
Founder of the Four Pedal Club
2000 328

#2 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 07:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Hootie is on a distinguished road
Is that free beer to the person who helps, or are you just bragging that you have free beer? Cuz that's just mean.

The plastic cover in my trunk also takes a little fudgin' to get off. I believe it has a couple ridges that hold it behind the fabric panels. I'm due for a battery change soon too, so let's hear those recommendations on the vent folks.

Jar, what type of battery did you get and from where? I've tried to find an Interstate for my car and have had no luck.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Ah, I was just kiddin' 'bout the beer, actually it's bourbon!!! Yeah, it looked to me the cover needed to be lifted up and shimmied out from the cloth liner. I saw on another site that the Duralast 49-DL is good replacement. 850 CCA The sell them at AutoZone. $60. The site said the clerk might say it won't fit but ignore him. I searched the net for Interstate and some others but none were spec'ed for my car. Gee, ya think the dealer wants me to buy his for $250 I've seen in some threads? I went out at lunch and looked at the new battery in the trunk (not hooked up). It looks like the hose that comes with the battery attaches to the hose that is permanently attached to the car and vents outside with the use of a supplied nipple. A friend has the pig-tail between a 9-volt battery and a cig. lighter socket attachment so I don't lose memory/radio codes etc. All SHOULD go smoothly. used:

SEMPER FI 2/3 Comm
2000 328

#4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 01:46 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Play around with it. The carpeting in the trunk and the carpeting against that wall are holding it down. lift up trunk carpeting and playa roudn with it. Takes 10 seconds to get out.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Without trying to set any records, I spent about 45min-1 hour putting the new battery in. Had to really force the battery box cover to release the tabs from the carpet. Other than that it was pretty simple. The 2 vent hoses fit nicely and the nuts on the terminal clamps don't come all the way off so they won't fall behind the battery when you tighten them. I just used the tools in the on-board tool kit. The 49-DL is about 3/4 inch longer but fits in nicely. You'll have to cut off the carrying-handle on the new battery after you get it in to be able to re-install the battery box cover.

SEMPER FI 2/3 Comm
2000 328

#6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:17 PM
n00b

rockblock is on a distinguished road
Battery replacement DIY

Here's an excellent DIY link with pics:

2007/02/21 AutoZone Duralast 49-DL

Go to the end of the page...you'll find about 50 step-by-step pics.
#7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 10:37 PM
n00b

rockblock is on a distinguished road
now, about that beer...
#8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 06:56 PM
n00b

miniestate is on a distinguished road
Smile Battery AutoZone 49DL or BCI Group 49 Walmart

Hey, Walmart is close so I just got a BCI Group 49 there, 3 Yr Wrty, 850 Cold Cranking Amps, fits snug as bug in a rug. Clamps down perfect, drain tube pushed right back on. Cost $75 plus a $9.50 core charge and $1.50 dispose fee. Bought a couple of those little anti corrison rings, $92.06 out the door and did the swap in the parking lot, turned right around and got my $9.50 core deposit back. All the electronics came back just like they were before the swap. I have a 2000 BMW 323i Sport Wagon and the Battery is in the back under the floor board on the far right. There is a black plastic cover with several thumb nuts holding it down. Remove the carpeted side panel, remove the carpeted small floor panel to get to the black plastic battery cover. Here is a link to a good picture set of the battery replacement.

IMG_0723.JPG Terminals for charging / jump starting

And here is a BCI Battery Chart with all the demisions of batteries in case yours is different like some posts I read.

BCI Battery Group Size Chart

Thanks and Good Luck with your battery.

Jim
#9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 02:47 PM
n00b

reefdoggie is on a distinguished road
Battery Replacement

For my 2000 328Ci, I found that the Everstart Maxx 94R is a perfectly fine replacement battery at a reasonable price (the local Stealership here in SoFla charges $225 for their OEM battery).

Same dimensions, same handles, same fittings (incl vent tube) and pops right into the battery tray without ANY retrofitting!

I got it at Valdemort (er, Walmart) for $77 = 765 CCA, 3yr/8yr warranty. Had it about 1 week so far, seems to work just fine; highly recommended.

#10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 06:05 PM
n00b

miniestate is on a distinguished road
For those who do not have a AutoZone

I noticed a post that said they did not have a AutoZone and thought posting that Walmarts had a workable solution would help those without a AutoZone. I have had the Walmart Battery in my 2000 323 Sport Wagon for 6 months now and all is fine. The Grp 49 fit perfect in every way. Everybody has a WalMart close.
#11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 08:35 AM
n00b

tdumas1025 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Advance installs for free!!

Hey gang.
Advance Auto installs for free while keeping the memory as well as testing the starting/charging system free as well. These are Titanium batteries and carry 3 yr, 84 month warranty. The guys are super helpful.
#12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 04:05 PM
n00b

coolcooltracy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdumas1025 View Post
Hey gang.
Advance Auto installs for free while keeping the memory as well as testing the starting/charging system free as well. These are Titanium batteries and carry 3 yr, 84 month warranty. The guys are super helpful.
I got my battery from Advance a few months ago.. although it was quite pricier and many ppl were telling me that i was crazy for paying $145, it was very quick and convenient. The guy tested the old one first to make sure it was the battery that was my problem.
also, as a tip: if you don't already, make sure you turn off your ac/heater & radio before you turn off the car bc it takes more battery power when you try and start your car. oh and dont leave a phone charger plugged in bc it'll continue to charge.
#13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Neutral Member

TRuckee is an unknown quantity at this point
I, too, shopped around a bit when my E46 needed a new battery. I found a local <Reno, NV> battery specialty outlet that had a suitable replacement for 'bout half the price of what the local dealer was asking. Interstate didn't have anything that fit the car, but I found a decent replacement at " Batteries plus". AND, of course, you have to vent the battery appropriately. Who'd want sulfuric acid dripping into their trunk area? TR
#14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 AM
RCK
n00b

RCK is on a distinguished road
2005 battery replacement

Hey guys - i have a 2005 545 - i was getting a steering malfunction display intermittently with cold weather - dealer says i need a new battery, and that if i replace it myself it won't connect with the computer and will give me all kinds of false messages going forward. I played a couple dealers off each other and got the price down, but they still want a ridiculous price for the diagnostic, battery and labor. ANy advice?
#15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 07:51 AM
n00b

tdumas1025 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK View Post
Hey guys - i have a 2005 545 - i was getting a steering malfunction display intermittently with cold weather - dealer says i need a new battery, and that if i replace it myself it won't connect with the computer and will give me all kinds of false messages going forward. I played a couple dealers off each other and got the price down, but they still want a ridiculous price for the diagnostic, battery and labor. ANy advice?
RCK,
There is a memory saver to plug into the cig lighter to save all the settings for computer and stereo settings, etc..... So basically they are plugging a jump pack or memory saver into your cig lighter and feeding you a line of poop on a stick. Never had an issue as long as the cig lighter works to maintain these items. Good Luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)