Battery Change Resulted in Check Engine Light - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 11:13 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hanimourra is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Battery Change Resulted in Check Engine Light

Hi everyone,

I just changed my battery on my 2002 325xi and one day later my check in light went on (still on 3 days later). Could this be because I had several failed starts (car won't start) just prior to realizing that my battery completely died and had to be replaced?

Is this normal? Will is clear itself?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
Hani
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 11:17 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Hmmm. This smells like the battery was not the culprit

The best thing you can do when you get teh CEL is to have teh engine code read to determine WHY the CEL is on. If you are in the U.S., you can get this done for frree at an AutoZone or any of their major competitors. I know that you can do this for free in a few other countries as well, at whatever the local stores are. Once you know the code, come back and tell us and we will be able to help more.

Good luck.

#3 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 09:57 PM
n00b

sonspot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanimourra View Post
Hi everyone,

I just changed my battery on my 2002 325xi and one day later my check in light went on (still on 3 days later). Could this be because I had several failed starts (car won't start) just prior to realizing that my battery completely died and had to be replaced?

Is this normal? Will is clear itself?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
Hani
did you have your battery checked out, you dont want to replace a good battery when its a bad alternator, did you buy the battery at the dealer, (if yes, its your car asking why spend so much money for a battery at the stealership you could have bought something nice for me with the money saved buying a battery else were, just playing).

thanks

2001 330I, sport/Premium/cold weather package, short shifter with M3 weighted knob, clear corners, 60 led angle eyes
#4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 10:42 PM
n00b

MyBmwHatesMe is on a distinguished road
Hmm, I'm experiencing the same problem. DRZ, thanks for the info about autozone helping with that sort of thing.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 08:57 AM
n00b

hanimourra is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thanks everyone. The CEL went away for a few days and then came back.

I had CAA (equivalent to AAA) replace the battery for me (they were much cheaper than the stealership). They also tested the old battery (confirmed it was toast) and the alternator (confirmed it was fine).

I think I will take it to PartSource in Toronto and see if they will read my CEL codes.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 06:38 PM
n00b

sonspot is on a distinguished road
if i was in the GTA i would read it for you no charge , am in windsor, i should be in town soon..

thanks

2001 330I, sport/Premium/cold weather package, short shifter with M3 weighted knob, clear corners, 60 led angle eyes
#7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 04:20 PM
n00b

MyBmwHatesMe is on a distinguished road
Hanimourra,
I found it that most BMWs have a way to manually do a diagnostic test. Sit in the driver's seat turn the key until you start to turn the engine (do not start the car!) While the key is in that position press and depress the accelerator five times rapidly. When done correctly, the CEL will blink a series of numbers. Those numbers tell you what is wrong with the car. I hope you find that helps.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 10:18 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBmwHatesMe View Post
Hanimourra,
I found it that most BMWs have a way to manually do a diagnostic test. Sit in the driver's seat turn the key until you start to turn the engine (do not start the car!) While the key is in that position press and depress the accelerator five times rapidly. When done correctly, the CEL will blink a series of numbers. Those numbers tell you what is wrong with the car. I hope you find that helps.
This will not work with any BMW from model year 1996 or newer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)