Bad Vaccum Maybe? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 09:13 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
clarkinc is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I get a low volume high pitch foghornish squeal when I accelerate. It seems to only happen when the accelerator is in a certain position or the RPM is at a certain point. It doesnt seem to cause problems but is very annoying at the drive thru where you don't need alot of power to move to the next window even with the radio on. Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 11:13 AM
1st Gear Member

bryan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
i take it that since you notice it at drive through's you don't have the radio on and the windows are open. thus meaning the noise prolly can't be herd all that welll with windows up and radio on. it sounds to me it is just the air going through the throttle body. all engines make this noise with the exception of diesel engines. it's just that some engines are louder than others. i have also noticed that for somereason even w/o a cold air intake BMW's are a little bit louder than most cars. but there is nothing wrong with your car. just turn the radio up a little louder.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

mankiks323i is an unknown quantity at this point
Not sure the same problom but i had a noise that would be intermitant when i turn off car alway a groaning sound not sure but also when i would drive it would groaning sound. It ended up being i think pcv valve little different it was under the intake manifold expensive fix. used

"What happens here stays here" Las Vegas
#4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Quote:
Originally posted by mankiks323i@May 10 2005, 09:45 AM
Not sure the same problom but i had a noise that would be intermitant when i turn off car alway a groaning sound not sure but also when i would drive it would groaning sound. It ended up being i think pcv valve little different it was under the intake manifold expensive fix. used
[snapback]342955[/snapback]
you have a k&n filter? they cause whistling induction noises at certain rpms if you have a good ear.

#5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
No, the breather element is stock.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 07:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Hootie361 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Hootie361
I hear the same thing... right around 2,000 RPM? Like a high-pitch whistling... the volume changes depending on how much gas you're giving it? Mine is at it's loudest when the engine is trying to maintain speed, right about 2,000 RPM.

I've listened carefully and mine seems to be coming from under the center console, through the floor. I'm not sure what's under there that would be making the noise, but I assumed it was some sort of a vacuum leak as well.

Neither my old Honda or my Cavalier made this noise...nor do my friends cars. I find it hard to believe it's symptomatic of EVERY car.

Your Lane ------>
#7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 08:16 AM
1st Gear Member

as i said before all engines make this noise at some RPM just some are louder than others.if you took the air box off and reved the engine you would hear it on other cars too. the noise is most likely the air going through the throttle body. trust me as long as it is infact the air goign through the intake, which it definatly souds like that is the case here, there is nothing to worry about. although if any one feels the need to take thier car in to have a shop look at it by all means go aheand but they will prolly tell you the same thing.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 06:51 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by bryan1970@May 12 2005, 07:16 AM
as i said before all engines make this noise at some RPM just some are louder than others.if you took the air box off and reved the engine you would hear it on other cars too. the noise is most likely the air going through the throttle body. trust me as long as it is infact the air goign through the intake, which it definatly souds like that is the case here, there is nothing to worry about. although if any one feels the need to take thier car in to have a shop look at it by all means go aheand but they will prolly tell you the same thing.
[snapback]343638[/snapback]
I would be inclined to agree if it were a slight squeal, which I also hear. However this is quite distinct and loud within an RPM window.
#9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 07:09 AM
Neutral Member

Howie is an unknown quantity at this point
[quote=clarkinc,May 13 2005, 11:51 AM]
I have a high pitch noise too when doing about 70-80 mph. The noise goes if I speed up or slow down, its just when maintaining speed.
#10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 09:03 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
[quote=Howie,May 13 2005, 06:09 AM]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkinc,May 13 2005, 11:51 AM
I have a high pitch noise too when doing about 70-80 mph. The noise goes if I speed up or slow down, its just when maintaining speed.
[snapback]344064[/snapback]
Did they say that was normal?
#11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 03:18 AM
Neutral Member

Howie is an unknown quantity at this point
They couldn't find a fault, but they could not replicate the problem when they were testing it... typical....!
#12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 08:32 AM
1st Gear Member

well if there was no faults then theres your first sighn that it probablly isn't all that important to worry about. and they probablly told you they couldn't duplicate it becasue they didn't want to get into trying to fix a problem that can't really be fixed.
#13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 09:06 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by bryan1970@May 16 2005, 07:32 AM
well if there was no faults then theres your first sighn that it probablly isn't all that important to worry about. and they probablly told you they couldn't duplicate it becasue they didn't want to get into trying to fix a problem that can't really be fixed.
[snapback]344889[/snapback]
Well Bryan, the real problem is that it is very anoying at most. It ticks me off because as I ride down the street to turn into my driveway my car makes a loud signature noise that no doubt gets attention from the neighbors. I feel as if everyone is saying, thats a really nice beamer but it makes loud noises. Thats enough (I think) to want to treat a problem.
#14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 12:54 PM
n00b

EuRopE1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to EuRopE1981 Send a message via MSN to EuRopE1981 Send a message via Yahoo to EuRopE1981
Clarkinc try checkin the gaskets on the air flow system i had i had a problem with mine , the second gasket it was cut that was making the car make a noice symilar to yours.
#15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

well honestly i don't know really want to tell ya. understandibly it is tough to really tell what it could be without actually hearing the noise. i guess you could just leave the car at the dealer and have them drive it untill they can duplicate the noise and go from there. you could maybe try test driving another car and see if that car also does it becasue i do know that most BMW's do have a slight whistle noise from the intake but it might be a diffrent noise than yours. oh and try finding a car that is atleast the same year as your as the bran new cars all have remodeld engines and they might not have the same noise as i am talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)