Bad Luck with my 328i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2007, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 2000 328i
Photos:
wfuerte328i is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wfuerte328i
Bad Luck with my 328i

Ive had a 2000 328i for about two years now, and when i bought it, it was running great with about 85000 miles. Recently, i have been having a number of problems and dont know where to start. I grew up working on old chevy's, and have never had problems like this before. First of all, there is this horrible screeching sound that comes from the back of the car whenever i accelerate, or more like a chirping sound, not a loud solid screech, but a bunch of short ones. Now, the front of the car makes sort of a rubbing/grinding/clicking sound from the drivers side wheel, only when i turn to the left. Finally, my car overheats, SOMETIMES!. Usually at stop lights, it will over heat, and now the a/c is not coming out cold either. At an idle, the car overheats as well, so i figured out that the cooling fan isnt kicking in when it needs to, so might that be a relay or the thermostat? Please help, im a first time bimmer owner, and ive always wanted one and love my car, i know after some tlc, itll be running smooth again.
wfuerte328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
About the overheating: it seems like your electric auxiliary fan is not coming on. This may be because the temperature switch that activates it is faulty, or because the fan itself or the relays are the culprit. Have you checked the fuses? A couple of the fuses (or at least one, I know for sure) affects both the A/C and the electric fan. If this fuse is out, you would not get any action from the electric fan, and your A/C would not blow cold at all.

I have no idea about the screeching sound from the rear of the car. Perhaps wheel bearings? Maybe your brakes are worn?

When you turn left, your tire may be rubbing against the wheel well cover, if the cover is lose or sagging. ell us more about the noise. Does it change with the engine RPM? Is is accompanied by any vibrations or the car or the steering wheel?

Best of luck with all this.

Check back again, as some other people have a better understanding of these matters than me.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Cool thanks, ill check the fuses, that never crossed my mind. as far as the screeching sound, rotors and pads are good, and i was thinking the wheel bearings as well, but it does not make the sound in revers. And as for the weird sound when turning left, it sounds like a bushing or something is bad, the wheel clears the well and everything else fine. thanks again, i reallly appreciate the help.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
oh yeah, and about the steering noise, it is sort of a creaking sound, and whether the engine is running or not, it always sounds the same, like a steering component is bad or going bad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)