Automatic Transmission Filter - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 11:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hootie is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Automatic Transmission Filter

FYI, if you're contemplating replacing your AT filter, I've found very few websites that have them in stock. Seems like it's at least a week lead from most online vendors. Your other options is, of course, the dealership, where they charge about triple the price.

I found the cheapest option here:

Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts

And if you need to follow a DIY for the procedure, go here:

http://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/20...ter.pdf#page=7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 04:06 PM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
I usually get my parts from Autohausaz. It's a good site

LOS
#3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 02:04 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quick update:

The AT filter is changed, and none too soon. The new fluid I purchased from the dealership (the old Texaco formula) was a bright red color. The fluid I drained from my transmission (at 100K miles) was solid brown. Lifetime fluid my butt. I HIGHLY recommend anyone with an AT with over 60K consider replacing their filter/fluid. Particularly if you have the AT that's known for suddenly losing the Reverse gear.

The diff fluid looked much cleaner when drained. Although that being said, what idiot decided it would be a good idea to install a fill plug that angles down?
#4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 10:06 PM
2nd Gear Member

zibby is an unknown quantity at this point
You can use in place of expensive Texaco ETL, a Havoline Mercon V(made by Texaco USA), which is a semisynthetic formula and only $3.00 per q.Did it last Spring, since have better shift points and transmission is much smoother overall.It applays only to BMW auto transmissions GM 5 ,made by GM France. Z.

BTW Texaco 7045 ETL fluid is not even partially synthetic, it is simple fluid made with group one oils same as regular Dexron III ATF fluids.

Last edited by zibby; 09-05-2006 at 10:12 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 08:27 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Hey Zibby, I'm confused. According to the Havoline website, the Mercon V is designed "specifically for use in Ford Motor Company transmissions". Are there any bulletins posted somewhere talking about the use of this fluid in a BMW transmission?
#6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 11:40 PM
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootie
Hey Zibby, I'm confused. According to the Havoline website, the Mercon V is designed "specifically for use in Ford Motor Company transmissions". Are there any bulletins posted somewhere talking about the use of this fluid in a BMW transmission?
Yeah, primary Mercon V was design for Ford vehicles, it has better friction property than Dexron III fluids .That is why Mercon V fluids can be used in place of Dexron ones, but not vice versa.Long story short... Mercon V fluids are called by some oil company the " Multivehicle ATF`s". Company like Pennzoil, Qaker State,Chevron ,Castrol, etc call them "Multivehicle " auto transmission fluids, other company like Valvoline , Shell, Esso ,Havoline(Havoline, exactlly same formula as Chevron`s mutivehicle) call them Mercon V auto transmission fluids.Basically things to remember are , that Mercon V and Multivehicle ATF is the same stuff.

Havoline.com: Products: North America: Automatic Transmission Fluids - MERCON V

Last edited by zibby; 09-06-2006 at 11:55 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 09:27 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
But the main issue is that my Bentley service manual says not to use "Dexron III" fluids in an AT that uses "Texaco", and vice versa. At some point in the futre, after having used the "Texaco" version for the life of the car, would it be safe to switch to the Mercon V, or should I only use the old ATF formulation?
#8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 10:20 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

#9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 11:48 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Whoa, good links LOS. How's this for spooky... from your third link at motorsports.org:

"When performing repairs on transmission with lifetime fluid, it is important to drain the transmission fluid into a clean container for reuse. New fluid should only be used for transmission replacement and for topping off after repairs."

My God almighty, I can't imagine putting that brown sludge back into my tranny.
#10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 12:28 PM
LOS
4th Gear Member

Holy crap, I have NEVER heard that before!! I would never do that...
I had to read it for myself. For those of you interested is on page 7 on the third link.

LOS
#11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 07:53 PM
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootie
But the main issue is that my Bentley service manual says not to use "Dexron III" fluids in an AT that uses "Texaco", and vice versa. At some point in the futre, after having used the "Texaco" version for the life of the car, would it be safe to switch to the Mercon V, or should I only use the old ATF formulation?
I do not want to disappoint anybody who spent money for misterious and expensive Texaco stuff, in reality it is a normal Dexron III type fluid, not any special ATF design for BMW transmissions.The funny part of it is , that Texaco(Texamatic) is made of group I oils and any Dexron III avilable now in US and Canada is made of group II oils , which is much better.Now you know how Car manufacturer want to screw up customers , force them to buy "magic juice"for big bucks and in reality it is same shit as any other cheap ATF.

Proof is belew :
Chevron Fuel and Marine Marketing
#12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Neutral Member

441tech is on a distinguished road
Zibby-

So, if my '99 323i has the GM 5 (A5S 360R), I can use Mercon V? The dealer guy told me I could use Dexron III or Texaco, but the label on the Trans. indicates Texaco.

I noticed this summer on hot days after running around town for awhile, coming out of 1st gear was a bit sluggish. 138,000 miles, and I don't know if it's ever been changed.

Should I change it? I've heard SO MANY different angles on this...

441tech

Officer: "I see you set the table for four."

Groucho Marx: "That's nothing--I set my alarm clock for eight."
#13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 04:44 PM
2nd Gear Member

The reason I use Mercon V Havoline(Texaco USA brand) in my car is, that this fluid is as close as possible to original fill on 1999- 2000 models equipped with mentioned by you GM5 auto transmission(Texaco ETL 7045)which is semisynthetic stuff Dexron III type fluid.Also Havoline Mercon V is a semisynthetic formula ATF.As I written before in those transmissions also work well multivehicle type ATF`s made by Castrol or Penzoil/Quaker State Corpopration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)