anything i should know before going to the dealer? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 11:43 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alfred Neuman is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
it seems the dealers just dont have the options and colors i want. i dont want to settle with a car with things i dont want and i feel that i probably will not get a good deal on a car customed from the factory.

what should i do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Ohrid is an unknown quantity at this point
Well i am not too sure how it is in the USA, but i ordered a customized BMW 3-series coupe from my local dealer, not long ago. I am still waiting for it to arrive.
First thing first is, u have to make up your mind and think about if you want the car long term, and have a unique and personalised car and also be prepared to wait a few months or like in my case half a yr!, or having one with similar mechanicals, but just another face on the road.
If you decide to get customised, first tell them what u want fitted and in wat trim.
Let them put down the total cost figure on paper, so its nice and easy to understand, and know which costs are for what options.
The total figure will be something astronomical, esspecially once they put all taxes, tarrifs, dealer delivery, duties, regestration costs etc.
From there, you go home have a look at them, and just add up the cost of the car and the options WITHOUT the taxes. Now that is the figure you should use to bargin with. But before you go and see your local dealer the next day, log on the net, and look and find all the BMW dealers near you, or if need be, of about 2-3 hour drive radius. and e-mail them your request.
I did the Exact same. howver, i should note that i am from australia.
Where i live, there is only one dealer that sells BMW's...so i had to contact dealers that are form interstae, namely sydney and surrounding towns.
I e-mailed a total of 10 BMW dealers. My e-mail was specific, and short.
I stated my name, location, what car i want and options want, and how i plan to pay for it. and then send it off, and leave a number for them to contact me. Make sure it is very direct and no beating around the bush. It shows that you are serious.
Of the 10 e-mails i sent, i got 5 replies, the next morninig, all of them dying to get my business. 3 of the actually called me, and were depserate for a sale, even though i was located 300km away. but wen ur forking out big bucks, you have to play nasty. I got a couple of quotes just like that. and many of them were only 1-2 grand short of the figure i added up from home, without the Taxes.

By this time, I got a call form my local dealer, enquirying if i am ready to do business. However i laid is straight, over the fone, stating that his too expensive and I have gotten tempting offers from interstate. I named a couple of dealer networks, to ensure him that i aint bullshitting, and that he has some stiff competition, if he wants to get my business.
He then quickly changed his attitude, and ordered me to come in the office for a chat with the manager. I went and tlaked, and they came down within a couple of hundred bucks seperating them and the others. And i could see it in their face, that they couldn't do any better, they said. "THIS IS THE BEST I CAN DO FOR YOU!, any lower i will lose money, and i am sorry"....you would expect them to say that, but he actually showed me the profit margins and the percentages and all..he opened the BIG FOLDER and showed it all to me. I then believed him.
However my local dealer was still a couple of hundred dollars short of the BEST deal. i told him, i would go home and think it over but he didn't want to let me go.
he explained, the reason some others may be able to do a marginally better deal, is because they may have lower overhead costs, and its a smaller firm. which is in some extent true. In the end, i ordered my bMW from my local dealer, naturally because, it would be sucha big hassle for me to go interstate for service or repairs or any claims i may encounter, and plus i had to factor in the excpetional service they gave me, i mean they let me test drive 4 different cars till i made up my mind which one i wanted, and then i test drove the car i wanted twice more after that, in order to make sure its the right one. All this time they were all happy for me to do that.

Sorry for this long ass reply mate, but i wanted to share my personal experience with you guys. In order to get the best deal dude, is give them someone to comepte against, or a price for them to match. first get sorted our WAT car u want...then talk about money.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 03:18 PM
n00b

wag-zhp is an unknown quantity at this point
I was faced with a similiar dilema. I wanted a very specific set of options and a color combination, which just didn't seem to be ordered very often. The exact car I wanted was not sitting on anyones lot, and there was very little possibility that one was going to built without being custom ordered. I did my research like "Ohrid" to figure out what a car with the options I wanted should cost, not the MSRP, but the Invoice price. Then I started contacting dealers. Interestingly enough, the first one I contacted gave me the best price, on the first contact. That dealer was BMW Concord, talk to Danny Andrade, or Mark Hugret, they are fantastic!

You CAN get a good deal when custom ordering a car. Part of the reason is that the dealer knows the car will be bought as soon as it arives, so they don't have to worry about storage and advertizing fees and such.

One of the nice things about custom ordering is that you will very likely be the first one to ever drive the car. That's other than the folks that drive it onto and off of the ship and then into and out of the delivery truck which transports the car to your dealership. My car had 3.3 miles on the odometer, so I am pretty sure that the only yahoo that's driven it hard during the crutial breakin period was me.

My advise; if you really want a particular color/interior/option combination that is not common, go ahead and special order it!

United States Marine Corps: When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight! Hooraah!!!
#4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 04:26 PM
n00b

bearing01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Custom order it. That's what I did... and that's the only way'd I do it.

I bought my car in Ottawa and the dealers seem to not keep cars on the lot there... I pretty much had to order it anyways. The cars are in such a high demand that they don't really cut you a significant deal. Alot of dealers seem to be doing that now a days... keeping their inventory low so smucks have to order.. keeping their inventory low and the perception of "high demand" and high prices.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 07:11 PM
n00b

///M330 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ///M330
Try heading to the bigger dealers, never go to the smaller ones ( I personally had bad experiences with the smaller ones) And keep wisiting the dealer often. I has been going in and out of the dealer for 3 months before i acually got my car. If dealers see your persistence and interest in the car they take more time to cater to your needs. Visit other dealers as well, check prices and compare them, even if another dealer give you a better deal go tell the original dealer you went to. Chances are he'll probably try to match and beat that deal. If you do these things, you will probably end up having a better car buying experience. After all of this MY car ( $44.5k MSRP) came out to $44k flat with tax, title, and all the other fees. Thats after I have been in and out of the dealership for about 3 months, many test drives and constant communication. All-in-all, my BMW buying experince was very good.

Formerly <u>The Beni</u>, but my brother took that name over so this one's mine.

-&quot;Life goes by so quickly at 145mph...&quot;-

&quot;But, you know what life really is? You're born, you suck your mother's tits. You get a little older, you suck your girlfriend's tits. You get married, you suck your wife's tits. That's what life is. Life sucks.&quot;
#6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 02:05 PM
n00b

louden is an unknown quantity at this point
Keep an eye out for dealer rebates. You just missed the month of June where BMW was offering $2400 to dealers on the 330! They're gone in July though. It seems to me we'd see them back in August or September.

Keep an eye open.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)