Anyone replace the run flat tires with "normal" tires? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 03:03 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JeffZX is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Anyone replace the run flat tires with "normal" tires?

.....I have heard the ride is much better (due to not having run flats and having a higher profile tire), albeit sacrificing some performance. I would take the trade off, but need to know not only the cost but the limits for the car. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 06:19 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
You probably want to keep the same rolling diameter, so depending on what is on there now you have a couple of options;
a) Loose the Run Flats and go with a regular tyre which will have more sidewall flex and add to the shock absorption of the suspension
b) If you reduce the width of the tyre you may be able to go up a profile size.
c) Reduce the rim radius (18 down to 17 etc) and increase the profile size.
It really comes down to whether you want to spend the extra money on new wheels as well as tyres. A site that I use regularly for juggling wheels & tyre sizes is Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com
Start with your current size and work out what gives you a close enough result. Pay attention to the width of the rim and the minimum width tyre that it supports, there is a limit to everything,

Riding in style
#3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 09:51 AM
5th Gear Member

jimmythepie jimmythepie jimmythepie jimmythepie
that's an interesting site, good find brettski
#4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Captain... Savvy ?

Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
As Brettski says... You MUST keep to the overall diameter of the wheel or you will have an incorrect speed at the dash !!

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
#5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 02:23 PM
n00b

JeffZX is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabsy View Post
As Brettski says... You MUST keep to the overall diameter of the wheel or you will have an incorrect speed at the dash !!
The 2011 BMW 328i have come with both 16" and 17" wheels. The 16" models were earlier in the year. So are you saying that BMW adjusted the speedometer for each vechicle depending on the wheel size? You can not change from 17" to 16" wheels? Thanks.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Captain... Savvy ?

Garage
Yes you can... I mentioned OVERALL diameter has to be maintained... You can lower your rim size but with slightly larger tyre walls to keep to the original diameter...
The opposite will have the same effect... Raising the rim size requires a slightly lower tyre wall !

Eso es todo!

BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
#7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 02:55 PM
5th Gear Member

jimmythepie jimmythepie jimmythepie jimmythepie
I've always got an incorrect speed on the dashboard, the pedal goes all the way to the carpet and that's the way I like to drive it.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:34 AM
n00b

matty427 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Hi, I'm new around here so this is my first post. Please don't flame me if I'm off base.
I thought you could just replace the runflats with similar sized tires. I've done this on my other car and it works great. Those runflats rode like hockey pucks and I hated them. There are sites that have a "tire diameter calculator" page and aparently you can go 1/2 to 3/4 in. over or under the stock size. Because of the runflats, my car didn't come with a spare tire so I pack a tire repair kit and a "Triple A card".
#9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Captain... Savvy ?

Garage
1 - Yes, you're off base as you have not introduced yourself AND your car to anybody, do this in the Newbie section...
2 - Yes, runflats a crap and don't be scared to change back to normals...

The "Runflat v Standard" will not run on because the run flat tyres are proper shite and hold little benefit to you or me, or even any fookin rain-forests you could mention... Overpriced and IMHO, USELESS... carry a spare for god's sake...
DAZ

Eso es todo!

BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
#10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 08:37 PM
n00b

Sidhucer90 is on a distinguished road
Runflats

Runflats vs regular....

Runflat's do make the ride rougher...

I recently changed from runflats to regulars in my viper and i got to say its a bit smoother not as jarring as before... however cornering i seem to have lost a bit of something and am considering going back...

So its a trade off--- I did my research and the stiffer side walls on runflats will ensure more a more consistent contact area.

Conclusion go with runflats for performance driving,, daily commuter go with the less rigid regulars tires.

Sid
#11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 09:34 PM
n00b

Garage
Sorry SID, I can't agree. Runflats may have their place but I sure wouldn't install them with the idea of increasing high speed performance. It's a bit like saying that a pickup truck handles great because it has stiff springs. There are lots of performance tires out there that will increase the response and handling of a car, but runflats won't do that, unless of course you're presently driving around on real junk. Runflats are also heavier which won't help performance either.
#12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 09:51 PM
n00b

Sidhucer90 is on a distinguished road
Well the standard equipment in my viper is a 345 series mich pilot sport tire which is the exact same tire a ferrari enzo uses.. Both runflats....

There was a big discussion about this at the last viper meet and allot of the experts agreed the flex in the side wall or the lateral shift cause the tire to produces an uneven contact patch...
#13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:22 PM
n00b

Garage
Yep, you don't have room for a spare and neither does an Enzo. Hense the runflats. My Z06 came with runflats for the same reason and they were ok, -just. I use a soft sidewall tire for the street because of the improved ride, (roads are real bad around here) but at the track where performance is what it's really about, would never use a runflat. Contact patch is a product of air pressure and alignment (camber) settings.
Some guys might want a stiffer sidewall to improve street performance, but you can't achieve that by installing runflats.
#14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 05:50 AM
n00b

Ti317 is on a distinguished road
Contact patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhucer90 View Post
Well the standard equipment in my viper is a 345 series mich pilot sport tire which is the exact same tire a ferrari enzo uses.. Both runflats....

There was a big discussion about this at the last viper meet and allot of the experts agreed the flex in the side wall or the lateral shift cause the tire to produces an uneven contact patch...
Yes the stiffer sidewall will give a more even contact patch until you approach the limits of adhesion. The release will be sudden, unpredictable and most likely catastrophic. Of course your Pilots will be better than most runflats but they still have the potential for sudden loss of adhesion.
Ever look closely at a track tire and wonder why they don't use runflats? NASCAR uses a liner to acchieve stability on deflation. Some tire flex is needed to maintain contact on hard cornering. The actual amount needed will vary and is a matter for the suspension tuners.
#15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Captain... Savvy ?

Garage
Hey, Sid... Bang another 10psi in yer tyres then... yer great fairy LOL

Eso es todo!

BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)