Any problems with their 1st 335d? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 12:11 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
first335diesel is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Any problems with their 1st 335d?

Hey there. Just joined this forum so, welcome everybody!

I just bought my 1st diesel this week after owning a couple of 3 series and M3's but have not taken it home yet!!!

While they were doing the PDI, the "check engine light" came on and they could not get it to go off. The sales person was quite embarrassed and told me their techs were trying to find the problem. A couple of days later...today, I get a call from the Service Mgr telling me that they traced the problem to the engine and will need to replace the entire Intake Manifold as this is what is faulty causing the "check engine light" to come on! At first they thought it might be a software issue and then a sensor issue, but it wound up being the Intake manifold being defective.

My question to you is...Has anyone else with a new 335 diesel had any similar problems??? Or, any problems at all?

I am very impressed by this car and what it offers, but, now concerned that we may be "test" cases on these new engines in the states? (even though they have had BMW diesels in Europe for many years)

I would welcome all of your thoughts and answers.

Thanks

Last edited by first335diesel; 10-31-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 12:36 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
The road test results I have seen for the 335d are very good. Once the issue is resolved, I'd imagine the car should be completely right. Oh, and

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

coolvegase34 is an unknown quantity at this point
If the check engine light is on and you haven't taken delivery yet, what do you think is going to happen down the road? You are going to spend in excess of 40,000 for a car that is already having mechanical problems in the showroom and you are even considering taking delivery? Where were you when I was selling cars? Put on your nike's and run.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 05:33 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Witeshark, Thanks for your reply and welcome! I have enjoyed BMW's for 20+ years and when I test drove the 335d, it was better than any other BMW including my 2005 M3...so I made the purchase. I am just hoping that this is just a fluke and a bad Intake manifold which can certainly happen. I hope that when they fix this, I will then be able to enjoy and drive this car and have alot of fun.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 06:20 PM
OMFG another one!?

witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by first335diesel View Post
Witeshark, Thanks for your reply and welcome! I have enjoyed BMW's for 20+ years and when I test drove the 335d, it was better than any other BMW including my 2005 M3...so I made the purchase. I am just hoping that this is just a fluke and a bad Intake manifold which can certainly happen. I hope that when they fix this, I will then be able to enjoy and drive this car and have alot of fun.
I see no reason for any other outcome.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

coolvegase34 is an unknown quantity at this point
for the amount of money that bmw charges for these cars new, they should be perfect. If you are ok with spending that kind of money and gambling on whether the car will pass a dmv inspection, which it won't with a check engine light on, then good luck to you sir. I haven't driven a diesel but I don't see how it could be better than an m3.
#7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 09:01 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
coolvegase34-- Maybe you should test drive the diesel and see for yourself. The thrust off the line as well as the midrange thrust is as if G-D himself is pushing you with all his force...it is amazing...and, this coming from a person who owns a GT-R which is the best performance car on the planet, especially for the money. And, considering it is a 4 door sedan, BMW has again pushed the handling to phenomenal levels! It is no GT-R, but it is pretty awesome.

Now, just check out the stats! 265 hp, and 425 lb feet of torque...most supercars do not have that much torque, especially from 1700 rpm.

As for the money spent, yes, you can not sneeze at $45k for the price of this loaded car, but, I have had cars costing 3x this price that gave me problems after a month of ownership. I am not happy about this, but, I am glad they caught this during the pdi and not as I am driving from the dealership!!!

I have faith that they will get it right...parts do fail sometimes, it happens.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 09:11 PM
OMFG another one!?

Late model turbo diesels offer an amazing ratio of performance and fuel economy.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)