Any Info!! Please!!! Replies??? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 06:55 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kinz325 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
CAN I GET ANY INFO ABOUT THIS THANKS!!!

i blew the motor up in my 2001 325ci. ( cracked cylinder wall) my friends dad is putting in the new engine. he got a used one w/ 20,000 miles on it for $3200. but its from a 2002 525. i know its the same motor but will there be any problems with this. ?? and a guy at the bmw shop said it was the same motor but it will have more hp. i dont think so, but will it?

also will this show on my odometer? will it read what the new engine has or still say old miles.? if so how can i get it to show new? to be up to date on all scheduled maintenance ??????/// thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 11:23 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Kinz,

Please do not make multiple posts of the same question. Sometimes it takes a few days to get a reply out of people or sometimes just nobody knows, regardless just stick to 1 post per topic please.. thank you.

I dont know about the engine horsepower etc but I can tell you that putting a new engine in a vehicle does not in any way mean that you get to reset the mileage, and besides that your putting in a used engine not a new engine. Either way it doesnt matter, the mileage stays the same, all of the rest of the vehicles components have a certain amount of miles on them and the engine is just 1 component of several, so the mileage stays the same. All you can do is keep records of the engine replacement and use these when selling the car as a selling point, thats about it.

DT

DT

#3 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 12:05 PM
1st Gear Member

2001BMW330iRob is an unknown quantity at this point
The Odometer reads the Mileage of the Car.
No matter what you do to the car you can't turn back the odometer...that is illegal.

About the horsepower difference, only if BMW tuned the engine differently being in a larger car (525) other than that if the engine has lower mileage you might feel more power...thats about it!
#4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 12:24 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
cool, i just didnt know if the computer would read the new mileage or not. so what are the mileage points (service) that i need to take my car in, since, my comp. wont tell me any more? 60k.service, oil every 15k. ..........??

thanks
#5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member

2001BMW330iRob is an unknown quantity at this point
Not sure why the on-board computer would not work anymore.
The dashboard indicator lights will still work with the new motor.
As a general rule I change the oil every 6K miles or 6 months.
I only use Synthetic, Mobil 1 0W40 (I buy it at the mercedes dealership)
I also change my own oil and reset the computer myself.
I have two BMW's and the Dealership has not seen either of them yet.
Find a good mechanic that works on BMW's, (if you ask other BMW owners someone will know the BMW guru in your area) much cheaper and better in the long run.
Stealerships have huge overheads and must constantly overcharge to stay afloat!
Good luck.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 05:30 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thanks,

yeah ive done spent a crap load at the dealer already. they wanted $12,000 to put in a new motor. So does anyone know of a good bmw mechanic in the east texas area?
#7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 07:40 PM
Neutral Member

nathan56989 is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess sinse everyone know how long a job actually takes in a dealer ship i guess we should change our labor time. If the car is under warranty the technician only makes the time it takes on the job because bmw has cut the the labor times so much. So the jobs you guys do do not over charge for anything right. I bet you buy bottled water too. lol. ( too much circulating around for me to pay for a bottle of it) but anyways. If you were to try and change the odometer reading there is a little dot that shows up becasue the mileage is stored in the cluster and in the lamp control module and if either of them see any big differences between the two it will light up the little dot. and iff both of these modules are replaced at the same time you will lose all odometer readings and it will show on your vehicle history report.becasue the mileage in your history are higher than indicated on your odometer. as for the horse power rating bmw only uses two six cylinder engine for the e46and the e39 (5 series). they are the m54 3 litre and the m54 2.5 liter neither engine is tuned differnet for a 5 series or a 3 series. they are the same engine. you may want the DME from the car you got the new motor from. and unless you friend dad doesn't have a GT1 the car will not run becasue the driveaway protection has to be aligned with the DME.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)