Another Window Regulator - Where's The Recall? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2004, 07:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
msudderth is an unknown quantity at this point
I own (2) 2002 325i's (one for me and one for the wife). I have had 3 window regulators fail in the wife's car. Tonight one failed in my car. As you can imagine, I'm not very happy. Two of the four were covered under warranty. The last one and current one are not. I'm going to try and replace this one myself.

Based on the number of posts on this subject and the quick response by BMW service personel to point to the window regulator, I have to conclude that this is a defective part. When is BMW going to issue a recall?

My loyalty has seriously started to fade. There are been too many problems in recent months.

I appreciate the post that some gave on the do-it-yourself repair of window regulator. I'll post again to tell you all how difficult it is.
msudderth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2004, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
MrM3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrM3
yes those window regulators are a major weak point on early E46 sedans. my family owned a 2000 323i and 8 window regulators failed on it, which is why we didnt keep it after the warranty expired. if you want to try to make changing the regulators a DIY job then you should deffinately buy or look in a Bently manual; it'll come in handy more often than you think.
MrM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Okay. Window regulator has been installed.

Cost: $96.00 and 2 hours installation

The instructions at e46fanatics were great!
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.ph...indow+Regulator

Just a note for step 3...if you are replaceing the window regulator on the front, there is a screw under the mirror control unit.

They say you can do it in under an hour. Have patience and give yourself 2 hours.

I just save $200 by doing it myself.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jetguy is an unknown quantity at this point
ghead Ok, at least I am not alone. I own a 1999 323i and I am on my third window problem. Although my car seem to break only the rear window regulators. I called BMW today (customer relations and asked if they have heard of this being a problem with the E46 line since this is a repeat problem with my car. They told me that BMW does not have any knowledge of this being a problem so I am stuck with the bill this time.

I think its time for us to join forces and let them know what it is a problem. Everybody seems to know about it except BMW of North America. I know it, my technician at the dealership knows it and the engineer who is responsible on it does not? Give me a break.

If you have some input other than call customer support again on how to make BMW aware of this issue, please feel free to contact me.
jetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Last word about this window regulator. If you replace a front window regulator, you will have to remove the side airbag. If you test you window before reconnecting the airbag, the computer will register an SRS fault (basically you air bag light comes on). BMW wants $95 to reset the light. The only other shop in my area who will reset the light wants $80. As the shop owner put it, he needs to pay for his equipment.

I'm doing some back door dealing to get mine reset. I would have been better off disconnecting the battery before I started replacing the regulator. Now I know. ghead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)