Amsoil ATF in A5S390R Transmission - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 2004 Alpine White 325XiT
Photos:
fredgarvin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to fredgarvin
Amsoil ATF in A5S390R Transmission

After reading every post I could find on whether or not to change the fluid in my AT, I finally decided to do it at 72k. New OEM filter, fresh Amsoil, seal and screws. Change went great and the fluid that came out was dark, but not as bad as some of the pictures I've seen in all the posts. The mag in the tray was really clean, suprising for 72k I thought. It also made me second guess my descision to change the fluid... but there was no turning back. All has been fine up until a few months ago when I hit 90k. First indication of a problem was leaving my house at about 20 mph, the RPM's dropped to 1k as the tranny locked into 5th. I goosed the accelerator and it was clearly locked in the high gear, but unlocked and went into 3rd. No problems for the rest of the day, but now I was and have been hypersensitive to every variation in acceleration, gear changes and anything else I can blame on the transmission. 6 weeks ago, I went ahead and had the ATF, Filter and Gasket changed again to see if it would fix the problem. It actually seemed to get worse (at least in my mind). This morning I had a local Indy shop take a look at it, among all the other things that are wearing at 96k. After pulling the fill plug, all the fluid that was seeping out was clean and the same color as the stuff still in the bottle. They stated "Nothing wrong with it, BUT are you sure that the Amsoil Product works with these tranny's? Gee, the Amsoil web-site says it does and I THINK I read in a post that it was OK, but I am now unsure. So, a couple/few questions posed to the Forum. Has anyone used Amsoil ATF in the GM AT? Should I risk changing the fluid to the Texaco at this point? If Yes, am I putting anything MORE at risk by mixing them?
fredgarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)