Alarm Question - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:33 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
captain bimmer is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Alarm Question

Hello, I am a new 2001 325I owner, and have a question regarding the alarm. Per the manual page 42, it says that when i lock the car, the lights should flash and the alarms (motion/tilt) should activate within 30 seconds. My lights dont flash, and the little red bulb under the rear view mirror has never lit up in the whole week that ive owned it. The book also mentions options to turn notifications on/off, but doesnt mention how to do it. I am just trying to make sure everything on the car works since i only have 60 days warranty on a used vehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:41 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
The Alarm was an optional install on e46, chances are you do not have an alarm installed. The easiest way to check is to remove the square shaped trim piece on the headliner just to the rear of the sunroof, it pulls straight down. If an alarm is installed then there will be an interior sensor installed and plugged in, if not there will just be a wire with connector not plugged into anything.

DT

#3 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:45 PM
2nd Gear Member

zibby is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you sure your car is equiped with an alarm? Alarms on these cars are optional as well as on board computer, alloy wheels, sunroofs etc...
Manuals are printed for all models regardless of option on particular car, so probably your car has no alarm installed.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:47 PM
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Tool
The Alarm was an optional install on e46, chances are you do not have an alarm installed. The easiest way to check is to remove the square shaped trim piece on the headliner just to the rear of the sunroof, it pulls straight down. If an alarm is installed then there will be an interior sensor installed and plugged in, if not there will just be a wire with connector not plugged into anything.
Sorry DT, looks like we written at te same time !
Z.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:48 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
i am assuming i have an alarm because i have the red bulb on the rear view mirror. And i have the boxed shaped thing on the interior side of the roof which according to the manual should be the motion sensor. Do cars without alarms usually have these components inside the car?

Also, do your lights flash when you click the lock button on the remote?
#6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:54 PM
2nd Gear Member

All Bimmer E46 3 series have these red bulbs under the mirror and these boxes on headliners, as I said regardless the alarm is installed or not , you car probably has no alarm.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:03 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to woobiee
just pop open the motion sensor cover and see if the motion sensor is there.

it sounds like you do not have the alarm. usually if you have the alarm, you will have an auditory sign when you lock/unlock your car ""chirp chirp""

the red bulb (known as the clown nose) is standard on all E46 and you can actually ask your dealer to activate the bulb to flash when the car is 'locked' even when you do not have an alarm. Along side, you can have the dealer program your car to flash when you lock/unlock your car even with no alarm too.

If you want to go the cheap route, you can just have the dealer activate the clown nose and flash indicator with no alarm. Most people will believe you have an alarm just with those two activated....BUt i recommend an alarm.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:08 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Oh ok, thanks a lot for the info. I will take off the cover to see if there is a motion sensor inside. So basically if i dont have an alarm, the default settings of the E46 are no responses by no flashing lights or chirps?

I wonder why BMW made it so the the dealership has to adjust these settings for you. For my last car, you can set the car to give notification that its locked/unlocked just by using the remote itself.

Oh, I love my new BMW by the way First time ive driven a german car, and I must say the handling is great!
#9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:15 AM

woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to woobiee
when i got my car, i told my dealer prior to pickup i would like the flash and clown nose to be activated; not really thinking on getting an alarm. but later on, i decided to get that alarm.

if you do decide on activating those settings, the dealer may refuse to do so because they create fault codes....they are correct but there is no harm in them at all.

oh and activating these things costs money! hope you got a cool dealer around you.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 07:57 AM

AZ325Ci is on a distinguished road
I had the dealer activate my clown nose when I didn't have the alarm system on it. I didn't have any problems.

Later on, I had decided to order the alarm and installed it myself. Then I had the dealer activate the alarm so that I can get the chirps. If you have a cool dealer, you may be able to get this service for free.

#11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 09:19 PM
n00b

SLBCarlos is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SLBCarlos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ325Ci
I had the dealer activate my clown nose when I didn't have the alarm system on it. I didn't have any problems.

Later on, I had decided to order the alarm and installed it myself. Then I had the dealer activate the alarm so that I can get the chirps. If you have a cool dealer, you may be able to get this service for free.
whats the best alarma for a bmw????
i have a 01 325i
#12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 12:13 PM
n00b

UnknownSuperhero is on a distinguished road
The car is already wired for the factory BMW alarm. I think it is somewhere around $225 or so?
If you go to the DIY page it gives you instructions.
You can not beat factory systems. Heck it has a motion sensor.

Another question, I am going to be installing a factory alarm in my 325Ci. Is there any kind of fuel cutout or ignition disableing(sp?) fearture, or is it just bells and whistles?
#13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 12:48 PM

AZ325Ci is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLBCarlos
whats the best alarma for a bmw????
i have a 01 325i

There are several alarm kits for the BMW's. I'm not sure which ones are the best. I have the factory alarm kit which I purchased from PacificBMW and installed it myself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)