Air Intake for '04 330CI - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2007, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 2004 BMW 330CI
Photos:
alexfridman is on a distinguished road
Air Intake for '04 330CI

Hi everyone,
I have an '04 330CI I recently bought. I was thinking of a cold air intake system, something like K&N.

First off, the car has NO mods at this time and I am not planning on going hogwild with it. So on a stock car, is it worth getting an air intake? How much power should I expect to gain? Are there other companies other than K&N that you recommend and why?

Thanks for any input.
alexfridman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BMWERKEN is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BMWERKEN
I'd recommend you check out our Simota CF Ram Style intake. It's a nice upgrade over stock that improves power, throttle response and sound under heavy throttle.

Call Toll Free: 1.888.JLEVISW
PREDATOR ICE OEM ANGEL EYE UPGRADE | PREDATOR CHROMIUM ANGEL EYES | LED TURN SIGNALS
BMWERKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
How is this better than a K&N and why? What's the difference?
Old 08-11-2007, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
The K&N intake is just a bolt on filter, it is not completely surrounded by a heatshield like our CF Simota intake uses. As a result, the intake suffers from heat soak overtime and will decrease performance because it is sucking in hot air rather than benefitting from being shielded from the engine's heat.

PREDATOR ICE OEM ANGEL EYE UPGRADE | PREDATOR CHROMIUM ANGEL EYES | LED TURN SIGNALS
Old 08-12-2007, 03:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
How much HP increase should I expect from the Simota setup?
Old 08-12-2007, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
regardless of the advertised gains, realistically you can't expect any more than 5-10hp and about the same tq. This is a noticeable but VERY subtle difference. the biggest change will be sound.

however, if you combine this mod along w/ upgrading software and a free-flow exhaust....these three mods will complement each other well and truly give you difference you can feel. these are simple bolt on mods that are easily reversed and depending on brand will actually increase the net worth of the car.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
For Teh Walrus?

Car: 1980 635csi euro
Photos:
WALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to WALSRU Send a message via MSN to WALSRU
+1

Not to mention we've had plenty of discussion on temp vs hp. Only about a 1 hp difference per 10 degrees from what I remember. So yes, you do want a fairly well sealed unit, but it's not a huge gain.

1980 635csi Euro . . . Current
1985 535i . . . Soon to be parted out
2001 Subaru Forester . . . DD
WALSRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Definitely, NA upgrades are tough to squeeze power out of but coupled with one of our exhausts and software upgrades, it can make for a nice change.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
What about fuel efficiency? I get about 30mpg right now. Would an air intake squeeze a few more miles out?
Old 08-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: '89 E30 w/M50
Photos:
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWERKEN
The K&N intake is just a bolt on filter, it is not completely surrounded by a heatshield like our CF Simota intake uses. As a result, the intake suffers from heat soak overtime and will decrease performance because it is sucking in hot air rather than benefitting from being shielded from the engine's heat.
Actually the new K&N FIPK's for the E36 and E46 have heat shield that makes a nice box around the filter area and blocks the filter from engine heat. Its a nice and complete kit and is smog legal here in CA so you won't have to remove it when a smog is due.

E46 330i kit

BMWJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Right, but notice the heatshield only covers the side of the intake. Air can still get in from the top, even with the hood closed.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: '89 E30 w/M50
Photos:
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWERKEN
Right, but notice the heatshield only covers the side of the intake. Air can still get in from the top, even with the hood closed.
How? It seals aginst the hood when the hood is closed. I've seen the wear/rub marks from the rubber gasket on the top edge of the heat shield in an E46 and E36 myself. If someone has removed the hood liner then yes, hot air can get to it but it will be a small amount and probably only in stop and go traffic.

BMWJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)