Air bag light - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2006, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
watatrp is an unknown quantity at this point
Air bag light

I have a 99 328i. The airbag light has been on for a while now. Finally had time to investigate under the front seats and I see that there is one connector under the front passenger seat that is not connected and two under the driver seat that are not connected to anything. Should there be any connecters not connected to anything? I can't seem to see where they would connect. Any suggestions anyone?
watatrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2006, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I am not very experienced in this area, but I think that of one of your seatbelt sensors isn't connected, the airbag light will come on. Sorry I cannot be of more help. Check back later. Someone else here surely knows more than me.

Edit: is this thread any help?
Old 08-29-2006, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Car: 95 M3
Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
Originally Posted by PMB
This is a very common problem and 9 times out of 10 there is actually nothing wrong! I had this problem last year and went to a non franchise BMW repair shop and apparently under each seat the sensors are attached using small plugs. When the seat is moved back and forward the plug can actually rub on the carpet, stretch etc. causing the circuit to temporarily fail. In other words the plug is at fault not the system and not the sensor. The quick fix that the guy did was to use a zip tie around the two wires to stop the plug from straining. Reset the air bag light and hey presto problem solved. Total cost £10. Above someone suggested just resetting the light. This is fine until next time you move the seat back and forth.

A BMW dealer will replace the sensor at a cost of £100-£150 per seat.
saltshaker185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 94 BMW 525
Photos:
BMWMTECH is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BMWMTECH
If your not sure take it to the dealer. This car has a seat belt tensioner and is activated by pirotechnic so their is a possiblity of it going off if plugged in to a different connector. I believe their are 3 small connectors under the front seats, one for tensioner, one for seatbelt light, and one on passenger side for seat occupancy sensor.
BMWMTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car: 98 M3 Sedan
Photos:
Wonderboy is on a distinguished road
Wow that was useful to know. However the explaination i was given was that my alternator was slightly faulty and a low voltage error was seen in a lot of area's when codes were pulled from the computer. It's kinda annoying having the airbag light on and friends clown on me for having a BMW that is broken. What ever... screw them... LOL
Wonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)