BMW Werkz banner

Aftermarket Alarm

2K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  Dirty_Tool 
#1 ·
Ok well, I'm sure some of you have seen a previous post called 'Alarm on?' This is linked to that in a way, but has a different questions involved.

Assuming that I were to purchase an origianl equipment "aftermarket" alarm system from circlebmw or another source... would it work with my key WITHOUT the addition of another alarm keychain thingy? Meaning that after installation and after the dealer activation, would the master keys work to activate the alarm while simply pressing the lock button like the original '99 328i alarm did?

Thanks,
Dough

#2 ·
Com'on guys, i've left it here for 24 hours, all i need is a yes or a no.

Dough

#3 ·
I just ordered my alarm a couple of days ago from Pacific BMW and it hasn't arrived, yet, so I can't answer with a definite yes or no. From everything I've seen about them, they should use the existing keys.

I'll post something when I get it if no one else has by then.

#4 ·
Thanks!.... i'll be waiting... :yup

Dough

#6 ·
Oh...right, I'm sorry, I have a 1999 328i E46. The alarm that came as an option from the dealer that wasn't installed on my car which is available from dealer sources for around $225. I guess you can say that it's original equipment, but since it was never an original item on my car i refered to it as "aftermarket" being that it would be installed now... years after it's manufature.

Dough

#7 ·
The alarm does integrate with the BMW key so no separate control or anything will be needed. Keep in mind however that the alarm after installation will need to be coded by the dealer or it will not function correctly. So if you are planning on doing the install yourself you will after the installation need to take it and have it programmed. Good luck.

#8 ·
Yea i know abotu that little point... you know of how much a dealer would charge.. ball park?

Dough

#10 ·
Oh... that sucks... what if just for the activation?

Dough

#12 ·
WHAT! :banghead that's messed up! Your telling me that freakin BMW stealership would charge you .5 hours labor to an hours labor for pluging a plug and just pressing ENTER!!!! Man... i'm sorry, that's fucked up! :nope

Dough

#13 ·
The machine only cost 16k maybe you should just buy 1....oh ya and put yourself through 75k worth of education to become a master tech :D

Just razzing you, ive heard of some dealers doing it for free for people but i wouldnt go in expecting that. Just call them and see what theyre willing to do for you.

If you have more questions go to http://bmwtips.com and join e39 chat and we'll talk, otherwise ill c ya around.
DT

#14 ·
Thankyou very much, I do highly appreciate the amount of information that you have given me. It will come in handy, now I just gotta buy the kit and install it.

Thanks again :cheers
Dough

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.