BMW Werkz banner

Advice on buying a 323Ci

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  KwlAznKid 
#1 ·
Hey fellas,

I am in Western Australia.

I am looking at buying a 323Ci. It is a late 2000 model. Looks really nice and well maintained. Done 45,000 kms.

I would like some advice on wether this model had any 'problems'. Or is there anything that is quirky about them. Like is there any known problems with them.

It is obviously out of warranty and I don't want to be stuck with expensive repairs.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 ·
hey buddy, i am from ACT! now for ur queiry about the 323Ci.
One thing u should know is that, they have only 125kw, even though its a 2.5L engine. The current 320Ci (that came in australia around very late 2000 have the same output as that (125). you say, it was a late model 2000..well that must mean it was a run-out model, because in dec/january (sometime there) they changed the badging from 323 to 325 (what we see now)..its basiclaly the same engine, but has 141Kw of power (it does make a difference).
How much is it selling for??
considering the amount of kays done (pretty low) i stil wouldn't pay more than $42,000.
Try and find a late 2000 or early 2001 325Ci, coz they go for around 45-50K.
or even a 328Ci (1999-2000 model) for around a similar price.

#4 ·
I bought my 2000 323ci 4 months ago w/ 26,000 miles on it for $20,000 USD. I love it and it still has 8 months of warranty left on it. I would check the warranty because the warranty is from the date the car was originally sold not the manufacture date. It may still be effective. I highly recommend you go through with the purchase. If it is your first BMW, it definitely won't be your last. :driving

#6 ·
Originally posted by KillFox@Aug 30 2004, 03:40 PM
Make sure to cvheck tires and brakes, those are the first things I had to replace when I got my 2001; but i had 71k miles on mine.
Also look at the ball joints and control arms

#8 ·
Originally posted by acbmw@Aug 30 2004, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

Here is the ad for the car.
http://www.autotrader.com.au/photodisplay....mber=T000157605

Its a sweet looking car but I feel he is asking too much. Let me know ur opinions!
I'm not sure if the car is located in the US or not. But if it is $60,000 USD then it is waaaaaay too much for that car. Even though it has a lot of extras, it should not be that much. I bought the same exact car without the extras for $20,000 USD. Mine only had 35,880 kms. Do not buy it, there are much better deals out there but you might have to do those mods on your own to make it look as good. Good luck!

#10 ·
Originally posted by Clint_M@Aug 31 2004, 09:44 AM
thinks its australian dollars m8, not sure of the conversion rate for USD, but for GPB its around £23,000

so thats like, $40,000 USD?
If that's the case then it is still way too much $$$ for that car!

#11 ·
yeh, 60,000AUD is about 42,000USD. its wayy to expensive. i have seen the same kind of model BMW in australia for about 45,000AUD (about 31,000USD).
plus, it has 19-inch wheels, so. either the odo meter is out, or he has done more modifications to fit those barstards in.

#17 ·
Looks to me like a nice car...but it does seem a bit high for a 2000...even with the extra modifications....if you're going to pay that much for that vehicle....the new 2004s.....325Ci starts at $31,700 USD....and the 2004 330Ci....starts at $37,300 USD. Plus the new ones come with a warranty! But that's just my

#18 ·
Okay 1st of all he's in Australia, not the US, so prices are totally a different thing. Ask him how much a new one is before saying "thats way too much" A new M3 cost $47,000 ish in the states but a new M3 costs $80,000 in canada so prices are all relative.

2nd of all, Here are things to look for in a used 323ci of that aproximate mileage...

Control arms, control arm bushings, ball joints.

Rear subframe damage, cracks and damage to shock mounts. (expensive to fix)

Power window regulators, many people have gone through more than one, slow
or jerky operation will indicate that its about to go (they are partially plastic boo)

Power sunroof gremlins, erratic operation, lack of operation, sliding cover sometimes gets pushed in, never to return.

Driver and passenger side window seals failure. The glue is not suited to hotter climates, if you live in a hot area the rubber surrounding the windows is prone to falling off.

a few people have had problems with the Steptronic automatic transmission, although they are not common.

Overall this is quite a good engine as well, while not as powerfull as the 330 the 323 has more torque than the 325 and a little less horsepower. That said the 323 has better steering feel, and responds better to tuning. It also is the last year for throttle cable and doesnt give you that awful drive by wire lag. While the motor can use some more horses, drop in a cam, some underdrive pulleys, an intake, "shark software", headers and a cat back exhaust and the power will be closer to a 328...

Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.