Acs.. Someone Explain Please - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2004, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
sm1th is an unknown quantity at this point
If I turn ASC on.. then the light is on and it is activated permanently.. which is fine.. however, if I don't turn it on and I start to slip it comes on anyway.. so what is the point of having a switch if it kicks in anyway??
sm1th is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2004, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Q_BMW is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Q_BMW Send a message via MSN to Q_BMW
hey dude
i think as far as i can understand u got the concept wrong....when the light is off (orange one) it means ASC is on....so when u put the light on u are turnin off ASC.......the other side is when the light is off which means ASC is on....if you loose traction and the tires slip....then the ASC light blinks indicating to u the the tires are losing traction....
i think i am right........hopefully someone can correct me if i am wrong

Q

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Past:</span> <span style='color:red'>1996 BMW 328i</span></span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><a href='http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=10038932107&page=1&sort_o rder=0' target='_blank'>PICTURES!!</a></span>
Q_BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 06:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Relevart is an unknown quantity at this point
Q is correct.

Blinking ASC light is the warning to the driver, that tires are loosing traction and ASC is doing it's job to keep car stable.
Relevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
billB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Everybody is right. However the switch comes in handy say when you back out of your driveway in winter the car start slipping; then you can press the button (lights on) to cancel the ASC which in turn gives your tires faster spinning power.

Note: When ASC is engaged (light off) it does cut down the power through throttle body to your engine; that is ONLY when you loose traction.
regards
billb
billB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
thanks guys.. that makes sense to me now.. another question though.. is it ok just to leave it off all the time?? and if so.. does anyone just leave it off?? thx
Old 11-14-2004, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
billB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
sm1th:
I see you just joined the forum so: WELCOME TO OUR forum; and enjoy also you may want to consider Following BMW recommendations on that one; you can find it in the manual.

Note: BMW ASC systems is designed with your safety in mind..why alter it?
regards
billb
billB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Nov 14 2004, 09:18 PM
sm1th:
I see you just joined the forum so: WELCOME TO OUR forum; and enjoy also you may want to consider Following BMW recommendations on that one; you can find it in the manual.

Note: BMW ASC systems is designed with your safety in mind..why alter it?
regards
billb
[snapback]230958[/snapback]
Good point Bill.. I don't know about you or others.. but I hate ABS and I just drove in the snow for the first time today with the car.. and I didn't like the ASC either.. maybe it is just something I will have to get use to..
Old 11-14-2004, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Relevart is an unknown quantity at this point
I have only two reasons to turn ASC or DSC off:
In fresh snow or on ice on up hill...
The other reason would be when one is showing off fun of RWD on slippery parking lot.
But I would never ever turn it off on city streets and highway even during rain, unless scuicidal...
Relevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 11:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
rsn48 is an unknown quantity at this point
You might find you want to turn off the traction control on a long uphill in the snow or you'll never get to the top. The system keeps re-routing power and reducing it the wheel not spinning and eventually you have no power going up the hill. I took my son up a mountain to a ski hill and he had a blast driving in it with the 330xi, but at one point with all the "traction" control, he had no power left, so we just turned it off for 20 seconds and put it back on and we were good to go for more fun.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 01:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Specialblend96 is an unknown quantity at this point
When the ASC light is on it's because ASC is off.
When the light is off it means ASC is working.
When the ASC light is blinking it means ASC is working to keep your car from slipping/loosing control.
Although the switch is used for more controlled traction in certain snow conditions there is another important reason for the switch...being able to drive your BMW and be able to slide around turns and drift, like on courses or in autocross. I have a 03' 330ci and it has the newer DCS system, it is also supplemented by ABC (adaptive braking control). So even if the DSC is off, the braking conrtol is on, and ABC on the other hand doesn't let you know when it's working. But...you can turn off both systems by holding down the DSC button for about 5-10 seconds where the DSC and ABC lights will turn on. This puts all the skill with the driver. I say this because it's possible your ASC activates itself because it's not fully off, try holding the button down and seeing if another system light turns on. If another one does, you can put the systems back on by just pressing the button again or when you shut off your car it will reset for the next start. After being used to ASC or DSC in my case, driving in bad rain, etc...without it itsn't really a good idea (unles you re stuck in like deep, snow etc...) but on a nice, dry drivng day it's fun to be able to drive your BMW hard.
Specialblend96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)