ACCIDENT..... Wil it ever ride the same? Will it give more problems - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 04:56 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mjatta is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
ACCIDENT..... Wil it ever ride the same? Will it give more problems

hey guys. me and my friend got into a an accident where i rear-ended someone last Saturday night. I feel really bad because i feel like i ruined their Saturday night. It a wet and raining night. i tried to prevent to accident but i was not able to stop the car on time. I think when it happen i blacked out for about 5 seconds or so. when i woke up, i realized that my car was still on. I see thick white smoke coming from the engine and i immediately tried to cut off the car, but it seem like the ignition was stuck and it wound not let me turn the car off. I also noticed that the thermostat went almost all the way down to hot. I keep trying and trying and after about 2 to 3 minutes, it finally let me cut off the car.

The adjuster claimed it can be fixed

Now my questions are

will it ever ride the same?
Will it give me problems in the long run?
If that was you, would you refuse the car and let them declare it a total lost?

Should i take it to the dealership so they can check the engine good?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00003.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	27681   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00004.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	27682   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00005.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	27683   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00006.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	27684  

Last edited by mjatta; 03-21-2009 at 05:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 08:16 AM
n00b

Boogety Boogety is on a distinguished road
No.

Yes.

It's not your call, the insurance adjuster will either total your car (unlikely) or give you a check for the repairs.

By all means take it to the BMW dealer, they will do the best job of repairing your car to factory specs if (as I suspect) you will have to fix it.

Fix it and dump it for another car, long term, you'll be glad you did. Glad you seem to be OK, watch your driving and maybe next time you'll have better luck with your friends...
#3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
the reason your engine tempeture went so high was you destroyed your radiator in the wreak and it wasnt getting any cooling to the engine. chances are it can be fixed, will it ever drive like it did? no, it will feel like you're driving a different car then you remember. also you will subconcisously know that your car was in a wreak and that will make you feel like its different also. If you do get it fixed i recommend going to a bmw shop also, not just a regular shop. It will give you the best chance of revival as thats what the specialize in. Looks to me that it wont be totaled but near it. hopefully the engine didnt get warped from running so hot, but all the accesories and coolant parts will need replacing, hood. fenders. bumper, and possibly some frame work could be done also. good luck and let us know what you end up doing, were a pretty good used car hunting clan around here. we can find you a decent ride.

so to answer your questions

it wont ride the same.

if fixed right it prob wont give you too many troubles, but it will more then if you didnt get in a wreak.

if it was me i would weigh my options. find out what your car was worth on the nada pricing site. that is the most accurate site around for car pricing right now. look at what cars are in your price range and go over to bimmerforums.com and look at the classifids there if you want another bmw. If theres nothing that you would like there then look into getting it repaired. I would look for another car before repairing however.

Last edited by saltshaker185; 03-21-2009 at 12:30 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 01:12 PM
5th Gear Member

denyo77 is on a distinguished road
Garage
did you run into a semi trailer?

#5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 11:00 AM
n00b

mjatta is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
No actually it was a Mercedes
#6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
^ the suv? poor car... I'm sorry that happend

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)