BMW Werkz banner

Acceleration issues

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  BM POWER PLANT 
#1 ·
Hi!
Recently I have been having problems with my 2007 318d manual. Not sure if issues are related but;
1) got the steering lock fault indicator on a week ago.(Red light). however car starts fine and no issues except light coming on all the time. Been to a few garages and all three say i need to change steering column. (quite expensive).. tried to recharge battery and leave battery connection off over night to reset ECU as suggested on many forums, but light still on.

2) today the car's acceleration is acting up. running low rpm's in 3rd gear and then fully accelerating causes the revs to go up to 3500 ish but the car dosnt accelerate until a few seconds later, or if i lift off the throttle.. (kinda the same as a worn out automatic transmission). However, if i hold the handbrake at standstill and strat off in 2nd gear the car chokes. So it couldnt be a worn clutch could it??
Any suggestions?
(Car has been tuned)

#2 ·
For the accelration issue check all your vacuum hoses and lines. As well as intake boot. Its possible a vacuum leak may cause it. Also check your Mass Airflow Meter (MAF) to ensure that its not dirty or clogged. It helps determine the appropriate air/fuel ratio.

#4 ·
How is the car acting at idle. Is the idle speed higher than normal? In this case I would definitely move to a Vacuum leak. And yes check for any type of Air restriction in the Induction system. Air Filter, Hoses, MAF sensor, Throttle body. Make sure it's free flowing. While your in their listen for any vacuum leaks. If that's not the case I usually do just a quick fuel Injector test using a extra long Flat head screw driver and listen for the solenoid click. (Not the normal thing to do next. But since it's so easy I like to get it out of the way). After that do a snap throttle test. Is the engine respond quickly? Just some basic first steps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.