Ac Chirp Noise - Sometimes - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2005, 07:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jnash is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a E46 330I out of warranty that has an annoying low sounding chirp on the fan speed that's used the most(auto). If I manuulay increase the fan speed or lower it, the sound often stops. Sometimes going over a bump will cause the chirp sound to start, other times it comes and goes on its own.
The sound comes from all dashboard vents and I can make the chirp really quite if I close them all as a test.

Any help would be appreicated - A/C fan speeds work good, resister changed awhile back while under warranty.

thanks
jnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2005, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Unfortuneately it sounds like the Blower motor itself is making the noise. It will most likely need to be replaced.
Good Luck,
DT

Dirty_Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty_Tool@Jan 15 2005, 09:14 PM
Unfortuneately it sounds like the Blower motor itself is making the noise. It will most likely need to be replaced.
Good Luck,
DT
[snapback]272286[/snapback]
DT, or anyone else,
Can someone please help me and provide a general procedure for getting at the blower motor as I have no service manual
thanks in advance
Jim
Old 01-16-2005, 02:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
before you do this, check for the trivial possibility of a belt being too loose. often, this chirp is heard when the compressor clutch engages.

although your manipulation of the fan speed argues against this, it is remotely possible that the "solution" you describe is coincidental.
peterkulesza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by peterkulesza@Jan 16 2005, 03:02 PM
before you do this, check for the trivial possibility of a belt being too loose. often, this chirp is heard when the compressor clutch engages.

although your manipulation of the fan speed argues against this, it is remotely possible that the "solution" you describe is coincidental.
[snapback]272682[/snapback]
Thanks for the idea but the belts and pulleys were changed recently and this noise is not related. I think I need to dig into the car and get at the A/C blower fan and take a look. Can someone please help me and explain how to get to the blower fan?
thanks
Old 01-27-2005, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Robert Mason is an unknown quantity at this point
I am having the exact same problem with my 2004 330i. Symptoms are identical to yours. It sounds like something is coming in contact with the blower fan blades. Sometimes I get the noise at all fan speeds. When I put it on the lowest speed, you can distinctly hear each chirp as the fan blade is coming in contact with something.

Fortunately, I am still under warranty and will take my car in when I get time. I'll let you know what they find out.

~RM
Robert Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)