BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com (http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/)
-   3-Series (E46, E90) (http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/3-series-e46-e90/)
-   -   E46 320i Auto (http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/3-series-e46-e90/e46-320i-auto-76957.html)

Marcelino 12-07-2012 06:21 AM

E46 320i Auto

Hi Guy

i am just looking for some advise regarding my E46 320i ............i got this car now for about 1 month and i got the car with a overhetaing problem but that i have sorted out quick .......now i sitting with another problem .........my car have very poor performance, its almost like i am driving with a re-tarded timing ....when you drive and floor the car it goes no where ............i had one of my buddies do a diagnostic on the car and a error code came up for my Exhaust camshaft sensor ........can this sensor cause that the car have this poor performance also i have a ruff idling............and just yesterday the car just switch off whille i was driving and did not start after that ..........only started 6hours later .......so now i am affraid to drive the car just in case i get stuck agian

can anybody send me some advise

thanks in advance

marcelino

Lord Vader 12-07-2012 07:09 AM

Do you know what the exact code was? Becuase the vehicle has Camshaft Position Sensors (CPS) and when one fails it will cause engine issues. The sensor helps tell the ECU where the cams are in rotation, and when the computer has no idea whats going on then it cant compensate properly. Thus, poor performance. Replace the sensor and see if it helps.

Marcelino 12-07-2012 08:20 AM

hi thanks for the reply the code on the print out is P1397 and then there is another code P0340 let me know what does this mean .......gonna buy the exhaust camshaft sensor sometime in next week only

Lord Vader 12-07-2012 09:54 AM

P1397 is Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor.
P0340 is Intake Camshaft Position Sensor.

Replace both, but make your you get genuine OEM sensors. A lot of E46 guys say the aftermarket ones are crap and it's better to buy the OEM ones off the bat. Make sure you clear the codes once done.

Marcelino 12-11-2012 03:08 AM

Hi sorry for replying now only ...........i have contacted the dealer for the exhaust camshaft sensor and its R1600 hopefully i will be purchasing this, this coming Saturday .........you say i must replace both R3200 for both .............where can i purchace this OEM parts .........

Marcelino 12-11-2012 03:11 AM

also once i replace these sensors how long do i have to clear the faults coz i can only have these codes cleared the Sunday or the Monday and will the car perform better or will i be the same if i dont have the faults cleared

Lord Vader 12-13-2012 09:11 AM

I recomend replacing both because your getting a code for each sensor. May as well do both at the same time and save the trouble down the road. You need to clear the codes so the computer knows you have replaced the sensor and can re check the system.

Marcelino 12-13-2012 09:42 AM

Yes i am replacing both now on Saturday got it for abit cheaper at SMG BMW R1400 each + then they still give me 20% discount .........i need to give my friend a call to bring his machine to clear that codes and i just hope these sensors will solve my problem .............i tried starting the car last night but it takes a couple of swings before she starts and when she start i get a rough idling then its ok after a few revs..........but thanks for your advise .

will let you know what the outcome is

buyobd2 12-18-2012 10:21 PM

you can go to the repair shop and check it with the OBD2 tools.

Sakura 05-13-2013 12:01 AM

i also think that gonging to a repair shop is a good idea. they are specialized..