BMW Werkz banner

346 switched to conventional oil. opinions?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Jack Dabsy 
#1 ·
hello,
i want some retroactive advice for a decision i made last week with my new used car u guys.

i have a 2002 e46 with 85000 miles on it. i just got it this summer and did my first oil change last week. but i used conventional oil, not synthetic...

my last car was an e36 and i used conventional and changed it regularly on schedule, every three months.

i figured that this was better, changing it more often than going with synthetics, but now i'm having second thoughts. did i do serious damage to my engine you think or will it be fine to use conventional from now on and switch it regularly

really appreciate your wisdom
thanks
max

#3 ·
You want to go with what the Manufacture recommends. I highly doubt that you did any major damage from switching oils. What's thicker 5w-40 conventional or 5w-40 synthetic.........neither they are both the same. The only difference is the additives they put in synthetic oil to help it prevent it from breakdown, sludge, etc. If you changed your oil on schedule every time on schedule and did not race your car every single day. I doubt that you did any damage at all. Did you know some people don't even change oil. They just change the oil filter. Oil dose not wear out. It just get's dirty. (I would not recommend that. Just food for thought). Go with Manufactures recommendations and you will never go wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.