335d repetitive check engine lights - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
remgitano is on a distinguished road
335d repetitive check engine lights

Dear members:
New guy, second post. I came to this site via google. There was a posting from 2009 that caught my interest but it withered on the vine.
Ok, ladies and gents, I have a 2009 335d purchased new in July, 2009 from Murray Motors in Denver, CO. This car is heavily optioned and includes the sport package, nav, etc. This car used to typically deliver mid 30's mpg in the city and as much as 42.9 mpg on a trip to SoCal. Since last May (2011) the city mileage has dropped to about 29 to 30mpg and highway to about 34 to 36 mpg. Some parameters: this vehicle has been religiously serviced by Murray Motors. It has undergone several recalls from BMW corporate and will go in tomorrow (18 May 2012) for yet another involving the urea and EGR business). The car presently has just over 50K miles.
Here's where the fun begins: I repetitively have check engine lights illuminating. To whit, the car was in just last week to undergo the "signaled last service before the warranty expires". Job done at Murrays. Another recall is required as mentioned above so I have scheduled the service tomorrow. Now, as I am driving along today, the "service engine soon" light appears. Hmmmm..... says I, now what?
Frankly, with this car now just out of warranty, am I holding a grenade which just happens to be lacking a pin? I spoke with BMW corporate two weeks ago (why does BMW corporate hire individuals with such thick Indian/ Pakistani accents that they are virtually impossible to understand/) and, despite 3 BMW motorcycles and 4 prior BMW cars, was told, "I am sorry you are having these difficulties sir. I will let the engineers know.". When I suggested that this may well be my last BMW, incredulously, he repeated the same mantra!
Are there any other 335d owners out there with similar mileage and/or similar problems? The car itself is superb but not if it is to become a financial black hole!
remgitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Car: 1998 E36 328i
Photos:
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Bimmerwerkz.

I can understand your frustration with the car. You seem to be having more issues then most people. Being you have a diesel are you in Europe? We don't have many of them across the pond here so I'm not familiar with them, but that does seem excessive. BMW normally makes excellent cars but their are the occasional lemons from time to time. It's unfortunate but happens with every manufacturer.

If you don't want to have these problems out of warranty I would recommend selling it. The E90 is not very DIY friendly so it would be hard to do the repairs yourself. I choose to own older model BMWs for that reason. I may not have a warranty but I know that I can fix most problems on my own.

As for the call centre guys, they ususally outsource the call centre because it's cheaper. That and certain areas of Europe have high populations of east Indian people. Their response seems standard. They don't ever offer much. You pretty much have to fight tooth and nail to get any compensation from BMW. Same with all manufacturers really.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Lord Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
remgitano is on a distinguished road
Lord Vader...
Thanks for your input. Perhaps you didn't realize my locale. I live in Colorado, south side of Denver. I dropped the car off this morning for its most recent recall and asked my service writer to check the electronic key fob to determine the origin of the "service engine soon" light on the dash. He was unable to bring up any fault code and stated that the origin may be "deeper in the onboard computer". Indeed.
I'll be out of town for two weeks and plan to pick the car up on my return. I'll let you know what this latest advisory is. BTW, I think my 335d has more miles accumulated than any other diesel my dealer has sold thus far.
remgitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Car: 1998 E36 328i
Photos:
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
I didn't know their was a 335d stateside. Good to know. I have yet to see on here.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Lord Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)