335d info please - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Sky
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sky is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
335d info please

I dont know much about the 335d and would like to know more. Ive went to my local dealership (South Bay BMW Los Angeles BMW Dealer in Torrance, CA | BMW Service Los Angeles | Used BMW Los Angeles) and they dont have any instock. (i guess its not out yet?) Does anyone know if this thing will come in both sedan and coupe? Is there a manual transmission option?
thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 10:39 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
AFAIK, so far the only transmission offered is a 6 speed auto with "manumatic" shifting. The numbers are impressive: 0-60 in 5.7 seconds and highway observed ~36 mpg.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 10:54 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
It should be available already, but I don't think the dealerships will be keeping many in stock. At the time, only a sedan is available. There is no manual transmission option, since the engine produces so much torque that BMW didn't find a transmission that they felt comfortable matching to it.

#4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 11:59 PM
2nd Gear Member

bighorns is on a distinguished road
Check Savage BMW in Ontario. I believe they have one.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 07:27 AM
1st Gear Member

coolvegase34 is an unknown quantity at this point
They have them in vegas so they should have them in LA. Why go with a diesel? They stink after awhile. Besides, diesel costs more than regular gas, so where is the savings. Then you have to think about who is going to know how to work on one.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Sky
n00b

Sky is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvegase34 View Post
They have them in vegas so they should have them in LA. Why go with a diesel? They stink after awhile. Besides, diesel costs more than regular gas, so where is the savings. Then you have to think about who is going to know how to work on one.
Diesel fuel costs seems to be dropping. Very good point on your last sentence. I figure, BMW warranty will take care of most things.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 02:06 AM
n00b

Tecni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Tecni
I'm thinking of getting the 335d instead of the i. What do you guys think of that?
#8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 02:16 AM
1st Gear Member

coolvegase34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Stick with the g35. It is a great car.
#9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 03:04 AM
n00b

Quote:
Stick with the g35. It is a great car.
Thanks for the lousy advice. Anybody got some insightful information?
#10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 10:30 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
The reviews of the 335d are very impressive.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
I did read somewhere that the E90 325 diesel variant wasnt going to be sold in the USA.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 02:41 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Besides, diesel costs more than regular gas, so where is the savings.
Let us see. 335i does 27 mpg city, 26 mpg highway. For the 335d, the figures are 23/36. That is a 35% improvement for the d over the i for city driving, and a 38% improvement at highway speeds. For the sake of simplicity, let's just say that the 335d is 35% more efficient.

The national average for premium gas (what must be used with the 335i to achieve the published fuel consumption figures) is $2.90/gal. The national average for diesel fuel is $2.68/gal. Even if one were to pump regular unleaded, the fuel efficiency of the diesel would still result in savings, since the national average price for regular is only 1.1% lower than that of diesel, at $2.65/gal.

So I don't know where you're looking, but that is where I see the savings

#13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 02:52 PM
n00b

True but we're not only discussing the savings aspect of the vehicle but the vehicle as a whole.

For instance, I'm more interested in the performance aspect. Being that its a diesel engine it produces less HP but much more TQ. How would these cars compare in that sense when bolt-ons are introduced?

I know what gas engines are capable of but I'm not sure if diesel would be as powerful or easy to mod as a conventional gas engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz View Post
Let us see. 335i does 27 mpg city, 26 mpg highway. For the 335d, the figures are 23/36. That is a 35% improvement for the d over the i for city driving, and a 38% improvement at highway speeds. For the sake of simplicity, let's just say that the 335d is 35% more efficient.

The national average for premium gas (what must be used with the 335i to achieve the published fuel consumption figures) is $2.90/gal. The national average for diesel fuel is $2.68/gal. Even if one were to pump regular unleaded, the fuel efficiency of the diesel would still result in savings, since the national average price for regular is only 1.1% lower than that of diesel, at $2.65/gal.

So I don't know where you're looking, but that is where I see the savings
#14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 06:33 PM
drz
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecni View Post
True but we're not only discussing the savings aspect of the vehicle but the vehicle as a whole.

For instance, I'm more interested in the performance aspect. Being that its a diesel engine it produces less HP but much more TQ. How would these cars compare in that sense when bolt-ons are introduced?

I know what gas engines are capable of but I'm not sure if diesel would be as powerful or easy to mod as a conventional gas engine.
Well, I was addressing a post about cost savings as they relate to fuel efficiency, so that is why there is no content in my post covering what you asked.

As far as performance, it all depends on what you want. For most people that are just looking for a sporty daily driver with an automatic transmission (no manual option on the 335d), the 335d is a great choice. 265 hp is plenty good in those cases. In fact, I'd take all the torque of the diesel any day of the week over extra hp from a petrol engine.

However, I see that you have modded your car to 500 whp. In general, diesel engines are modifiable but it can become costly on certain cars/engines. Read the section about engine modifications in the following location for a primer: Diesel engines

: another link I found: The First 11 Modifications - Diesel Tech - Diesel Power Magazine

#15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 10:01 AM
n00b

Ron1n is on a distinguished road
To respond to the original poster's questions:

1. The 335d, in North America, is only available in a sedan.
2. The 335d is only available in an AT, as BMW has stated that they currently do not have a manual transmission that is able to handle the torque that the 335d puts out.

In response to the later parts of this thread, the car has already been tweaked in the UK, to about an 80hp/50lb/ft of torque boost. No word on stateside modifications, though (at least not that I can find).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)